PLEASE HELP! Question about temp.

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
today for some reason my 75 gal tanks temp kept rising it went all the way up to 85.5 and i turned down my heater to 75....i have about 250-260 watts of lights going so i just turned them off and it went down to 85.1 then 10 mins later went back up to 85.2 i dont get whats going on im new to saltwater just got this tank about 2 weeks ago but took the cycled water when i bought the tank off of a friend. any suggestings?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
or the heater is crap! lost a lima the same exact way!

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
opended the top...can the heater be pushing out too much heat? but y all of a sudden?..not to mention it was hot as hell in this house today im leaning towards that but shouldnt it have cooled down by now after the lights being off for two hours?

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
just read an article about floating frozen water bottles??? is that a good idea or no...alotta water evaperated today maybe should i top it off with slightly colder water? i dunno what to do haha just checked went back down to 85.1 and also since yesterday i introduced a blue hippo tang and a frogspawn coral i dunno if that has anything to do with it probably not

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
man you guys are killing me its 12 at night here and i got work in the morning i dont wanna fall asleep and wake up to my tank being destroyed lol

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
BobbyG123;1775275; said:
just read an article about floating frozen water bottles??? is that a good idea or no...alotta water evaperated today maybe should i top it off with slightly colder water? i dunno what to do haha just checked went back down to 85.1 and also since yesterday i introduced a blue hippo tang and a frogspawn coral i dunno if that has anything to do with it probably not
Yes, floating bottles or bags of ice is a great quick fix to temp issues....Whats the room temperature that the tank is in? Temp air con is set too?

unstopable4700

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2006
indiana
frozen bottles = good to have, yes heaters crap out aLL the sudden

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
yea its gota be my heater just woke up for work and the tanks 84.5 and the room temps gotta be like 59 60 and i got the hood off....i dunno what to do tho cus i gotta go to work and if i throw on the lights itll get like 90 i do have a back up heater but i thinkit broke i havnt checked it tho i guess ill have to do that...would it be smart to start using this? does anyone have one of these? also wheres the placement for this do u put it directly in your tank or just hook your heater into it and it controlls the temp?
http://www.bluewatercorals.com/aqua-...ermonitor.html

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store