Breeding project- Experimenting with convict varieties

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
Has anyone done any experimenting with breeding different varieties of convicts? I started with a marble male, and being unable to find a marble female, I bred him with both black and pink females. The results of breeding with the black female resulted in all black fry. But, after a couple pink female spawns, I found a pink female who carried the marble gene and ended up with spawns of about half marble and half solid pinks. I recently aquired some Honduran red points and also a platinum female. I plan to experiment further spawing these with marbles. I'm looking forward to input from others who may have tried these combinations, and what results they encountered.

BTW, I have ohhh, TONS of pink juvies which are FREEEEE to anyone who would like to come and get them, lol. :WHOA:

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
Honduran red points arnt a convict form, if you would be doing this it would be hybirdation.....so this thread is in the wrong section

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
All of my research this far shows various opinions on whether or not Honduran Red Points are a variety of Cons. I have yet to find information confirming one way or another, so I have not decided for myself. If you are aware of a site with this specific info (not just someone's opinion), I would appreciate it if you would share it here. I have also found a lot of info that seems incorrect. For example, I read several places that they are "shy and less aggressive than regular cons"- sure appears to be the opposite in my experience.
Either way, there is no conflict that they are both Central American cichlids, so I would think that this forum would be appropriate. Playing devil's advocate, for those in opinion that HRPs are in fact a Con variety, a hybrid forum would not be appropriate.

Although not extremely helpful, thank you for your input. :popcorn:

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi

Pic of marble male and pic of marble male with pink female and fry (she is not marble-the tank needs cleaning).

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
This site shows that they are a different sp, they are under amatitlania
http://www.tangledupincichlids.com/stock.html

another link
http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=1399

so crossing a honduran redpoint with a convict is hybridation, it doesnt matter whether they are both CA cichlids. also honduran redpoint on average are less aggressive,i have never read they were shy. i question whether your "honduran redpoints" are actually honduran redpoints, hybrids are around. saying that there is 3 different types of redpoints......
so this section of the forum wouldnt be ideal, the hybrid section would be better as i no other people breed hrp with convicts........if you take out the honduran redpoint of your
project none would be hybrids as pinks, marble ect are all convicts.....

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
The first link shows nothing more than Jeff Rapp's price list.

The second link was much more interesting. It applies A. Nigrofasciata to regular cons, and I believe I understood it to apply A. Sequia to HRPs. I didn't save any of the sites where I read the arguments for HRPs being simply a variation of cons- wish I had. There were some very good arguments in favor of them being the same species. Still not convinced either way yet. I will hold off on breeding them until I have made my own mind up.

You totally missed my point about which forum was appropriate. What I was stating is no matter if they are or are not the same species, they are both American cichlids, so this forum would be appropriate for discussion on that basis.

Also, on what basis do you question my HRPs when you not have requested a pic, nor the source they were obtained from?

davidefc

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Liverpool UK
thepitclub;1778711; said:
The first link shows nothing more than Jeff Rapp's price list.

The second link was much more interesting. It applies A. Nigrofasciata to regular cons, and I believe I understood it to apply A. Sequia to HRPs. I didn't save any of the sites where I read the arguments for HRPs being simply a variation of cons- wish I had. There were some very good arguments in favor of them being the same species. Still not convinced either way yet. I will hold off on breeding them until I have made my own mind up.

You totally missed my point about which forum was appropriate. What I was stating is no matter if they are or are not the same species, they are both American cichlids, so this forum would be appropriate for discussion on that basis.
Yeah that first link was to jeff rapps who is very popular and is well thought of in the ca/sa cichlid world, he has them under different names, this is correct.
also i know what you mean that they are both ca cichlids but if they breed they are still hybrids no matter where they are native. if you breed them you are creating hybrids which would be better placed in the hybrid section, where it most likely will be most likely moved soon.
you can produce all the links to discussions on whether the HRP is a variation on the convict, but they were proberly posted awhile back, but the HRP is not a variation of a convict. they dont look simular IMO, heres my HRP:

and heres a convict:
http://209.85.12.236/4923/16/upload/p1473184.jpg

thepitclub

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 13, 2007
mi
If I said I was holding off on incorporating the HRPs into the breeding program until my mind was made up, why would the thread be moved? That doesn't make any sense.

Now, if we could move past this, I'm more interested in further discussion of experimenting with breeding the other variations of cons (such as platinum X marble, etc.).

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
davidefc;1778605; said:
so crossing a honduran redpoint with a convict is hybridation, convicts.....
If you're going to flame someone, check for spelling errors... it makes your criticisms go a little farther. its HYBRIDIZATION.

Also, all flaming aside, you're totally derailing this thread. I don't care where this thread should go, and I think it fits okay here. I think there's plenty of people out there who would agree with me.

thepitclub: I don't have much experience with breeding convicts (although it wouldn't take much as I've heard they would breed in a toilet bowl), but I think you've got a great little experiment going on here. Keep us posted on what happens, and future variants that you add in to the mix:D

fobrinkle

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 2, 2008
Michigan
fishoverlivingspace;1778827; said:
If you're going to flame someone, check for spelling errors... it makes your criticisms go a little farther. its HYBRIDIZATION.

Also, all flaming aside, you're totally derailing this thread. I don't care where this thread should go, and I think it fits okay here. I think there's plenty of people out there who would agree with me.

thepitclub: I don't have much experience with breeding convicts (although it wouldn't take much as I've heard they would breed in a toilet bowl), but I think you've got a great little experiment going on here. Keep us posted on what happens, and future variants that you add in to the mix:D
I Agree! It seems like you're just trying to start an argument. This is in the right forum imo.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store