maintaining pH

NyJets51

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 27, 2008
new york
I was just wondering because ive never had a marine aquarium before, how do people get the pH that high(8.0-8.4). Does the salinity have anything to do with it? or the substrate(like crushed coral)? What kind of sand would keep the pH high

Reefscape

All Gr8KarmaSF's fault....
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2007
Staffordshire UK
pH in the marine aquarium does have a lot of varying factors. "Most" aquaria, pH is not an issue when a good salt is used. I have never had a problem with pH in any of my reef tanks over the years....

Most systems pH is usually somewhere in the region of 8.0 - 8.5, anywhere in this range is perfectly acceptable. Some people who drip lime often find pH to raise too high and then have to counteract this, where are others who commonly suffer from a low pH are usually suffering from too much carbon dioxide in the air around the tank...

young_skywalker

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2008
Idaho
to simply answer your question. the salt will raise the pH but the use of any aragonite substrate will help buffer. I prefer to use sand I can't stand "crushed coral" cause it discolors and to me kind of looks like gravel. I usually mix the grades of substrate but the key is not to use too much sugar sand unless you have a really shallow bed. Refugiums also will help keep your pH from swinging

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store