Mbu Puffer With Fly river turtle

nwilson7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
I like the mbu puffer and I did research and I did research on the fly river turtle. I want to keep the two together. I know what when the puffer gets larger it can turn and kill it, but I know it has been done before and it is a really nice combination. Seeing that I found a fly river turtle in my country for a low price $299.99, I want to get it and at the same time the puffer. Is this a good mix? Please let me know so I dont waste my money and end up with 1 fish.

001001.jpg

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
possibly might just use the turtle to trim its teeth

kif

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2008
wooster
www.myspace.com
good luck with that. I personally wouldn't try it. a 300 dollar mbu meal doesn't seem worth the risk. not to mention puffers are extremely messy fish, especially when they get 18 inches long, and require lots of water changes. Turtles are also notoriously dirty. Puffers are very sensitive to ammonia, much more sensative than most other fish. even the very low levels will have a noticable effect on their behavior and eventually will kill them. Believe me an mbu alone is plenty enough to make an amazing tank.

Pufferpunk

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 11, 2007
Chicago
www.**************.com
With one creature being messier than the other (both extremely messy!) I would consider this only with a several thousand gallon system, large sump & multible veggie filters.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
what size tank you gonna use?

nwilson7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2007
Canada
why is it that you are telling me you need a several gallon tank? If the fish get along all you really need is overfiltering, and waterchanges. Back to the point, do you think these two can be put together?

NilePufferFanatic

Gambusia
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2007
Idaho
Most people will not be able to tell you. It will really depend on the temperment of the puffer. I have yet to see a vicious Mbu, but I haven't seen one past 12".

That beening said, I would try it when I had a chance to watch the setup for a few hours (maybe while reading TFH and glancing up every once in a while). Agression will usually take place quickly or not at all.

I have a guppy, a bristle nose pleco, and a convic with one of my fahakas. They are all in danger of being killed, but I am interested in how long it will take.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store