BROKEN GATER, KILL IT OR KEEP IT ?

care for a"special fish"or put it down for its own good?

• Total voters

John Rambo

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 7, 2007
Zagama Beach
Its 10" and cant move its tail fins or its tail past the bent part. It still paddles its other 4 fins but occasionally twiches. It used to eat lots, now much less. It must have darted into the glass while I was at work. It has been doing that lately and has even jumped out of the tank once. Oh, this happened about a week ago, I gave it some time to see if there would be an improvement, but it still seems to function at 1/3 its usual activity. I dont know what to do cuz it can still swim (although very labored) and it still eats (although much less).

broken.JPG

broken 1.JPG

ColdwaterCreekGuide

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 21, 2007
Alabama
www.myspace.com
I dunno, I've never eaten one.. If it still eats and swims, enjoy it and take pictures.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
my buddy's tropical was the same and it healed up perfect over time.... i would keep it alive...

bigspizz

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2007
I think if you do keep him, he should be in a tank by himself until he heals, if he heals...good luck...I usually, try to save fish at all costs, due to the miracles that DO happen, from time to time....again, good luck man...

headbanger_jib

Doomsday Device
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2007
india
if he is not able to use his tail then he may not heal up and the best way to go would be to euthanize him
i had a 4" florida/spotted gar with a broken gar i picked up from the lfs, it could use its tail and could swim ok
after 2 months or so it healed up and looks like he was born with a defect
hope yours also gets better

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
when i looked at the pic,i thought that he has broken his spine,if he has its not going to get any better which is sad as he looks like a lovely fish

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store