Green Wolf Eel Help

JayDial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2007
Austin TX
Alright, so ive been keeping this green wolf eel for about 6 months, and after reading up on them i determined i had a female. So the other day i ordered a male and few days later it came in. After acclimation I released him to his new home. Almost immediately the original went up to him and started vibrating her whole body next to him, and giving him what seemed to be love bites. I was like ok this is a good sign.

I went to dallas for the weekend and when i checked on them this morning, she is chasing him a ton, and doing the vibrating / pulsating thing more than ever. She also clamped down on his head a couple times and then i was like uh oh this isnt good.

So now im worried i have two of the same sex or she is just to big for him. She is about 12" and he is about 8". My goal was to hopefully get me some fry, but now im a little concerned about the males well being. Does anyone know if the vibrating thing is a dominance action or is it actually a breeding type action?

Thanks!

JayDial

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
i used to have a pair of these fish, but they only differed in size by about half an inch [male bigger], and never showed any kind of aggression toward each other.
if the male looks like he's getting really beat up, i'd separate the pair, maybe keep the female in an isolation box in the tank, while you bulk up the male?

JayDial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2007
Austin TX
alcohologist;1783864; said:
i used to have a pair of these fish, but they only differed in size by about half an inch [male bigger], and never showed any kind of aggression toward each other.
if the male looks like he's getting really beat up, i'd separate the pair, maybe keep the female in an isolation box in the tank, while you bulk up the male?
That sounds like a good idea. Did you ever see the vibration thing that they do?

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
nope, they never did anything out of the ordinary,
some days they'd be in the same hole/cave, another they'd be at totally different ends of the tank.

JayDial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2007
Austin TX
So i bought a clear hamster ball at lunch hoping i could get her in it. Hah, im going to have to remove all the live rock. You cant catch a eel that doesnt want to be caught.

Predator 1

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 15, 2008
East London. England.
I didnt realise it was a Blenny JayDial!!!!. I have never seen one before, I assumed it was a speciese of "Moray". Hence my question about any previous attempts at breeding in captivity. My appologise.

JayDial

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2007
Austin TX
Yeppers.. Dottyback. ;) Very interesting creature

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store