Questions on the Cryptoheros species

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
i will be getting some Cryptoheros nanoluteus and CRYPTOHEROS MYRNAE in an order im doing

the nanoluteus aka the yellow convict just looks like a convict with freddy coloring
anyone kept these guys? ive never seen them being sold before and am jumping on the oppurtunity to snatch these guys up

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
i dont know anything about either, sorry but i am looking forward to these yellow cons!

dogofwar

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 3, 2006
Maryland
www.capitalcichlids.org
I have a pair of myrnae and a group of 4 nanos (2 are pairing off and acting like a pair, but no babies yet).

They're both much milder than convicts - act more like spilurum or cutteri.

The nanos get a brilliant yellow when they're in breeding dress. Neat fish both.

I have both in 40g breeders with goodeids as dithers.

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
Thanks Dogofwar, i heard from my supplier that they are pretty mellow

here are some pics i found
Cryptoheros nanoluteus

myrnae

Jason_S

Polypterus
MFK Member
Oct 5, 2005
Indianapolis, IN USA
nanoluteus are awesome little fish...they'll grow to about 4" max and aren't nearly as aggressive as regular cons. I've seen people breed them and keep them pretty much for life in a 20 gallon. I have had virtually no luck with the species though. I finally was able to get myself a breeding pair so I removed the extras out of the tank and next day the female was dead. I've lost more nanoluteus with no explicable reason. I'd keep them as stress free as possible with plenty of space and a couple of different hiding places and they should be ok. :)

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
i was thinking about waiting for two to pair up, and then throw the others in my 125, once i thin out some stock

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
ill be growing these guys out in 20, 40h and then throw the unpaired fish into the 125, and maybe see if they get along in the 75

rmcder

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2007
ny
Some have found the nanos to be tough to raise/keep alive. Hope your luck is better.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store