92gal sw tank setup questions???

Ad@m

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 11, 2006
toronto
i just got a 92gal corner tank from a friend and want to start up a nice show piece tank. i want to build up the back corner with live rock. but after that i am lost.
i am looking for colour. so the more the better. any options welcome.
also this is my first SW tank so pics or links, would be appreciated.

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
with color do you mean with fish, corals, or both. If you intend to have corals, the lighting will be a bit tricky because its a corner tank. It would be easiest if you have a picture of the top of the tank, with dimensions so we could recommend the best lighting for the cheapest dollar sorda thing.

If you want fish, you MUST research everything before your first purchase. Find fish you like and then post the list and we can give you any options/ideas on the list. Things to add or get rid of.

80lbs of rock will work very well for the stack up. Try purchasing larger base rock (dead rock will be cheap) and then get some medium sized rock, and then some smaller to cap it off. The smaller rocks should be purchased as live rock, this will help seed the tank, and will get the initial cycle on its way.

Be sure to have the best source of water. RO/DI is the best choice and you can purchase your own unit or buy it from the store. For a tank your size, i would just invest in getting a 25-35 GPD unit and call it good.

When cycling the tank, just use a piece of shrimp in a nylon and let that rot for about 2-3 weeks. After that mark, take the shrimp out and let the levels fall on there own. Once the levels are down to acceptable levels then start with the Water Changes and then get a cleanup crew list for us. This will consist of hermits, snails, etc....

Hold off on adding your first fish for about 2 months. The cleanup crew will go in right after the cycle. This will keep the tank going and also add some life.

I might also suggest some books to read up on. If intending to keep corals then get some species books on corals and fish. This will give you care levels, types of foods required, etc....

another thing you should give us is a price list for equiptment. remember this will consist of appropriate filtration, skimmer, lighting, test kits, nets, buckets, etc....

sweeTang21

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 10, 2007
Wisconsin
Ok, well i really wanted the dimensions of the top plastic piece. If i remember correctly were the 2 sides meet the curved piece of glass they have some plastic corner pieces so it makes a square area for the lid?

Anyways, depending on the top lid dimensions this is what i would do. This will give you the best of both worlds and you will be able to keep most all corals with this setup.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewI..._Halide_Pendants_Double_Ended_MH~vendor~.html will be the backbone of your lighting. This will give you the intensity to grow the corals.

http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem~SearchStr~2x~action~view~idProduct~CU01136~idCategory~FILTFIT5T5~category~18_inch_Current_USA_Nova_Extreme_2x20_watt_T5_HO_10K_460nm_%3c20in_Units%26vendor%3d.html will give you the actinic color. You can either replace the 10000K bulb with another actinic or you can keep it the way it is. For the MH you can chose between the 10000K, 12000K, or 14000K depending on what you want the tank to look like.

The light strip will go along the back and the dendant will hand right in front of it. Its hard to explain, so if you can get a pic, i could show you a little easier.

One thing you will want to watch out for is heat. MH are common causes for heat issues.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store