What on earth is this thing??

ugafan31605

Feeder Fish
Mar 29, 2008
Indiana
I can't find anything resembling this thing. Hopefully someone here will know what it is. It moves. The pictures below is of it "open" and "closed". I think it may be a bivalve. Thanks in advance.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
yeah i've got a few things like that.. looks like a wee baby mussel

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
yeah i have a purple looking thing in my rock that kind of looks like an anemone but isnt and when you touch it it goes back into the rock its wierd i cant figure out what it is its got like a stem then looks just like an anemone at the end of it theres alotta them(sorry didnt feel like posting a new thread lol)

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
BobbyG123;1790715; said:
yeah i have a purple looking thing in my rock that kind of looks like an anemone but isnt and when you touch it it goes back into the rock its wierd i cant figure out what it is its got like a stem then looks just like an anemone at the end of it theres alotta them(sorry didnt feel like posting a new thread lol)
LOL without a picture, and only going off your description, its a free for all with guesses, but it sounds like you may have some feather dusters.

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
BobbyG123;1790715; said:
sounds like aiptasia to me

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
oops sorry didnt read the part about it "going back into the rock" yup sounds like a duster, unless its just shrinking then it is aiptasia.

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey

ya no what looks just like these really and tahts what came up when i searched aiptasia only one of mine has a stem and one is right near my frogspawn coral and hasnt injured it or anything if it is an anemone the only reason y i wouldnt think it would be an anemone is because i just recently bought this tank from a friend and took all his water and rock its a 75 gal and its my first saltwater and outa the entire 6 years of him owning the tank he never had any anemones can they just form on there own??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store