Florida Gar Tankmates

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Yes i know theres a million of these posted up but i tried looking on search forums but they give me a bunch of different posts that does not give me what im looking for. What type of tank mates can i put with the Fl Gars(I only have 2 Fl Gars in the tank)? My tank size if a 180g fish tank(72X24X24). Thank you :)

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
knife fish, bichirs, some cichlids (oscars and a firemouth work for me.) like poly said tell us what fish you are interested in.

xander

Manjuari
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Singapore
city_of_evil6661;1791560; said:
knife fish, bichirs, some cichlids (oscars and a firemouth work for me.) like poly said tell us what fish you are interested in.
actually, knives and cichlids aren't great tank mates for gars...i'd look more along the lines of bichirs, lungfish, african arows. how big are your gars?

gars prefer big, slow, steady not too aggressive fish as tankmates. boisterious fish tend to bully the gar around and eat all the food, whereas skittish fish tend to freak the gars themselves out and sending them smashing into tankwalls, resulting in broke-back gar..

KaraJo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2007
NE Ohio
i agree with richard...pick some fish you like and we can tell you weather or not it may work.

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
xander13;1791720; said:
actually, knives and cichlids aren't great tank mates for gars...i'd look more along the lines of bichirs, lungfish, african arows. how big are your gars?

gars prefer big, slow, steady not too aggressive fish as tankmates. boisterious fish tend to bully the gar around and eat all the food, whereas skittish fish tend to freak the gars themselves out and sending them smashing into tankwalls, resulting in broke-back gar..
my gars are 9" and 16". you can tell by my avator which is which. knives seem to work for me as well as oscars. but i wouldnt recommend the really aggressive cichlids. but this guy still hasnt told us which fish he is interested in.

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Well thats why i asked cause i got no idea what kind of fish i can put with these guys. My Fl gars are both 14-15 big. I had them for about 5 months already. Can i at least add a Pleco in there?

Polypterus

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 17, 2005
Detroit
aqualife08;1791918; said:
Well thats why i asked cause i got no idea what kind of fish i can put with these guys. My Fl gars are both 14-15 big. I had them for about 5 months already. Can i at least add a Pleco in there?
No on the pleco...This is not a good mix with Ganoid fish..

city_of_evil6661

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2008
gainesville ga
i have 2 plecos with my gars. but it is really not a good idea cuz they suck the gars slimecoat off and cause infections. mine are doing great but i wouldnt chance it.

aqualife08

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
Illinois
Ok thanks and how about any type of catfish? I know they get pretty big very fast but i heard a shovel nose cat can do great with these guys? Is this true?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store