OCEAN'S ADVOCATE

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
Greetings All,

I am proud and excited to come to you now, and announce a new project I have been throwing myself full throttle into, one that is not only going to be huge, but is also one that is driven by passion.

I am starting a non-profit organization called Ocean's Advocate. Now you might think, well, that's cool, but there are already a million of those and nothing really ever comes of it. Well, not this time. I have never been one to sit on my rear and whine about what needs to be changed. Rather, I am usually the one putting myself in the line of fire and forcing that change.

Ocean's Advocate is already established on Myspace and Hi5, along with Friendster, and coming soon to Facebook. I have purchased domain names of OceansAdvocate.com and OceansAdvocate.org, and the official site is being constructed and prepared to be up and running soon. Right now we are in the drafting phase of our proposal to the government to become official and I have a support base which is rapidly accumulating.

Ocean's Advocate is an organization of passionate and driven individuals dedicated to conservation, education and ecological awareness. It is our goal to enlighten those ignorant to current issues, confront governing bodies, petition for judicial protections, enforce National and International Laws and intercept and broadcast unlawful and inhumane practices by any means necessary.

We are in the process of obtaining a vessel, and are building our Team and Crew as we speak.

There will be more information to come shortly, but for now, if you are interested in being involved in this Organization, please check out some of the ways in which you can join our team, and the Requirements for such, below.

TEAM MEMBERS:
*Must be over the age of 16
*Must be a resident of the United States or Canada
*Must be fluent in the English Language
*Must have access to computer with Internet
*Must have telephone (For contacting myself or other Team or Crew Members)
*Must have High School Diploma (For those 16+, GPA is required along with graduation date)
*Must be able to devote 3-5 hours a week answering e-mails, posting material, recruiting supports, and any other function which is required
*Must have a firm knowledge of National and International Laws pertaining to animals (I.E. - poaching, whaling, shark finning, over-fishing, long-lining, etc.)
*Must agree to a phone (or in person for those local) interview with myself or a designated individual
*Must agree to the Team Members Terms and Conditions
(This will only apply to those who are seriously considered for this position, and this manual will be mailed to them to review)

CREW MEMBERS:
*Must be a resident of the United States (This may change later on, but for now only U.S citizens qualify)
*Must be over the age of 18
*Must be fluent in the English Language
*Must have access to a computer with Internet
*Must have telephone
*Must have High School Diploma, sorry, no GED's - If you couldn't suck it up and get through high school the old fashioned way, then you probably won't have the drive for this. (If you received your GED because of extenuating circumstances, not allowing you to complete high school in the traditional manner, please speak to me privately to see if an exception can be made)
*Must have a minimum of six months field experience
(This can include: Volunteering at a Zoo or Aquarium, Being a paid employee at either, working with animals at either a theme park, veterinary office, local shelter, fishery, etc., or having first hand experience with large aquatic animals outside of an established facility - this can include scuba diving and educational courses which provided field studies, and must equate to a minimum of 48 interaction/study hours, with documentation of such available if requested)
*Must be scuba certified to a minimum of Open-Water certification, with more than 15 dives logged, and be willing to advance training to level of Rescue Diver upon request.
*Must be physically fit and be willing to submit to and pass a physical examination by a licensed physician upon request.
*Must currently carry, or be willing to obtain valid CPR and FirstAid cards
*Must be able to furnish certified copy of birth certificate, and copy of shot record along with photo I.D, which would remain in your Crew Member File
*Must agree to and sign the Crew Member manual and liability forms (Which will only be provided to those seriously considered for this position)
* Must possess a Valid Passport

CREW CHIEFS:
Some, but not all of the requirements for a Crew Chief Position are as follows;
*Must meet all of the previously listed requirements of Team and Crew Members
* Must have degree in Zoology, Marine Science, Marine Ecology, Marine Biology, or any other related field in Biology or Animal Sciences. (There are but only 3 or less individuals I know who lack a degree but have the knowledge and experience to substantially exceed that requirement, so please, if you intend to tell us something like - "well, I don't have a degree, and well no real work experience - BUT...." Save it, it won't help ya)
*Must be certified at or above the level of Rescue Diver and be willing to continue with specialties and to Master Diver.
*Must be over the age of 22
*Must be able to pass a background check
*Must have a current passport
*Must have a minimum of one year's nautical experience (This is to include recreational sailing, and any type of large vessel operation in open bodies of water. Jet-Ski's, Pontoon Boats, Paddle Boats, Skippers and Inflatable rafts will NOT be considered as nautical experience, so please do not ask.)

....... (The entire list is not here, but is available upon request for those who qualify)

IMPORTANT:

Crew Chief will be a highly sought position. However, only those who we feel have the knowledge, skill, passion, drive, diligence, experience, and personality will be eligible for such.
These individuals will be in charge of not only the vessels they are operating, but also for the lives and safety of the Crew Members they are given. This is an exceptionally demanding position and one which is neither for the weak stomached individuals, nor for those who cannot handle stressful and potentially dangerous situations, make split second decisions, deal with governmental entities, the press and general public. Crew chiefs will be selected before the first campaign mission and the number of chiefs will depend on the number of crews we divide into, depending on the number of initial vessels.

----This section is subject to change, to include additional requirements should it be deemed necessary. If you are interested in a position of crew member or crew chief, please contact me so that I can give you a full list of requirements and exceptions - - - - - -

PLEASE NOTE:

If you are interested in becoming a CREW member or crew CHIEF, I must warn you, this is NOT a position for the following persons;
-Those who are pregnant or nursing
-Those with chronic back pains
-Those with any disease or condition which requires regular medical monitoring
-Those who suffer a mobility disability
-Those who expect to make a fortune
-Those who just want to be on TV (Though you might very well end up on TV, if that is your reason for wanting to be involved, go hire an acting coach and talk to Disney)
-Those who are whiners
-Those who are pillow huggers
-Those who are afraid of getting wet, dirty, banged up, or otherwise altered
- Those who suffer from a potentially life threatening disease - such as Anemia, Hemophilia, HIV or Aids, Hepatitis, etc.
AND
-Those who lack the passion and balls (this is no job for a pansy)

CONTACT

If you are interested in joining our team and would like an opportunity to discuss not only the organization, but also the roles different individuals will play, you can contact me through this thread or through a private message.

This organization is still being finalized and structured, so please note that this offer will be open until we have secured a full crew. Field Campaigns (Those which only Crew Members and Crew Chiefs are allowed on), should be announced in JAN 2009 once we have secured our vessels and have received official authorization.

- So basically, no need to pack your bags now, this is just a recruitment, but if you are selected, there is a possibility of missions as early as MARCH 2009, so please do not commit yourself half-heartedly.

TO BE A MEMBER OF OUR TEAM MEANS THAT YOU WILL BE A RECOGNIZED AND RESPECTED INDIVIDUAL. THESE POSITIONS ARE NOT FOR THOSE WHO SIMPLY WISH TO BE FAMOUS OR HAVE FAIRYTALE IDEALS ABOUT WHAT A TRUE PIRATE DOES. THIS IS NOT A SISSY GROUP AND THERE WILL BE TIMES YOU COULD VERY WELL BE IN HARMS WAY. OCEAN'S ADVOCATE STANDS FOR CONSERVATION AND EDUCATION OF ALL ANIMALS, SO BEING A PART OF OUR TEAM WOULD PLACE YOU INTO A HIGHLY REGARDED POSITION AND YOU WOULD BE EXPECTED TO UPHOLD SUCH MORALS, PASSIONS AND DETERMINATIONS ON BOARD OUR VESSELS AS WELL AS OFF. THIS IS A WAY OF LIFE NOT AN ACTIVITY.

dragonfish

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2006
Florida
Unfortunately I do not fit all necessary criteria, but best of luck with your endeavor.

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
dragonfish;1794669; said:
Unfortunately I do not fit all necessary criteria, but best of luck with your endeavor.
Where do you not fit in?? If this is something you are interested in, we can discuss it, and you never know, there might be an exception to the rule depending on the circumstances. The slots I have listed on here are for main crew - crew which will be a solid part of this organization, and on most of the campaigns. Not listed here (mainly just because we are recruiting crew as of now) would be the position of volunteers. You won't get paid, but if accepted (those requirements are not nearly as strict), you will be able to go on the campaigns along with the crew. Volunteers will always be needed and welcomed!!

alcohologist

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2007
singapore
amazing initiative, emi. best of luck with this project
haha. if the uk is a little far out, i guess southeast asia is in another galaxy. :)

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
Predator 1;1796051; said:
It is a real shame that us UK members are excluded Water Baby.
LOL you guys do realize this is only a preliminary recruitment right? ANYONE who is interested can contact me and their information can go on file. The ONLY reason I limited the range for now is because we are still working on the proposal to the government and I need to make sure that incorporating international crew - at this beginning stage - is not going to be something to cause a hitch in the authorization. I FULLY intend to expand globally to ANYONE ANYWHERE interested in the very near future, but for right now - since I am swimming in paper work composing this proposal, I am trying to make it as simple (on me) as possible right now for filing and authetication purposes, attaching adendums stating that international recruitment will follow at a time we deem plausible (which for me can be immediately after the paperwork is done, processed and approved - lol, but it has to go through the good ol process first.)

Perhaps I should have made that more clear in the beginning? I dunno, just ask Matt, I think faster than I talk so you sometimes only get about 40% of what I meant to say, LOL. Sorry guys for making you think it was out of the question! :( Because it's not at all!!

water_baby83

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2006
UnDeR tHe SeA
www.myspace.com
Due to the number of PM's and E-mails I have been receiving, I will shortly be attaching the applications for Team and Crew Members. You should be able to grab these attachments, save them to a word.doc (or other appropriate program), and once saved, be able to fill in the appropriate areas and complete the application. Once you have completed the application of your choice, save the document a second time - with revisions, and make sure to rename the document with your last name and the position you are interested in. For example, if your last name is Smith and you are interested in the position of a Crew Member, you should save the revised document as "Smith.Crew.OA" and then attach this to an e-mail, sent directly to :

Oceans_Advocate@hotmail.com

NOTE:
There is NO limit to the positions you may apply to, BUT for EACH seperate position, you MUST complete a SEPARATE application. In each application, there will be a list of positions we will be recruiting. For example, in the Team Member Application, you will see positions such as "Marketing Assistant", or "Educational Outreach", and in the application for a Crew Member, you might see positions such as "Cook", "Deckhand", "Diver", "Small Crafts Operator", and so on and so on.
Each of these is a separate position and you may only check ONE position PER application. I know, that makes it a little harder, but I think you guys can handle it, and this is vital to ensuring our applicants do not get over-looked for a position they are interested in and qualified for.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
3 things

1) what's a pillow hugger?
2) will this be militarized :D ok not really a question i just had to ask
3) where do i sign up?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com