My Dovii - male and female

geewiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
Syd, AU
Hi all,

Ive had my male and female Dovii now for just under 3months, as I originally got them when they were 3/4 months old. At them time my male was roughly 13cm and the female 6.5 cm. Now my male has grown to 15cm and the female is 9cm.

When I originally got the pair, they were both completely scared sh**less of anything and everything, both inside and outside of tank!
I too was originally disappointed with their behavior, but I learned the key to the Dovii unleashing the devil within is patience and perseverance!!

It has now come to the point where my male is no longer scared of people walking past, he is very vigilant with whats going on outside of the tank
and he is showing more and more dominance over the female.

Having said that, I have now isolated my female and I am currently in the process of upgrading my tank configuration.
It was only a matter of time before things got cramped in my 3ft X 2ft x 2ft (202.5 liters (52.06 U.S. gallons))

Hopefully in a few weeks time once I have staged the relocation of both fish, they should be settling into their new home which is a 6ft x 2ft x 2ft tank (648 liters (166.58 U.S. gallons)) !! While some might say this is a huge upgrade, this new tank capacity accommodates their future growth and potential to breed.. So on that note, you should "buy once and cry once" and do things properly the first time :)

Their diet is a mixture of dry pellets, blood worms, live food in moderation and occasionally beef heart. At the moment they are both a little immature for the acquired taste of beef heart.

Oh and I almost forgot to mention that I have given them some appropriate names:

Male: 'Adelphus' - Latin form of German Adolf, meaning "Noble Wolf"
Female: 'Accalia' - meaning "She-Wolf" in Latin

Anyway, thats it for now - more pics will be posted as things progress :)

Note: this is my first official post on this forum, so I hope you all enjoy :D

hmoobvwj

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 13, 2008
WISCONSIN
Wow beautiful pair and awesome setup.

geewiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
Syd, AU
Cheers for the comments guys :)

greenterra: I originally started out with a tank of about 15 African cichlids, after seeing a mates Dovii - I was instantly converted and I havn't looked back since :)

I must admit, your Dovii is a very fine specimen :)

geewiz

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2007
Syd, AU
808living, went with minimal decor to give maximum swimming space for the two.

Note that pic was taken only a few days after I put them in, too clean one might say.

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
How do you know they are male and female? I have five at that size and I can't tell yet!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store