Driftwood for Plecos

rba718

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Do Plecos really need driftwood? I have one piece left in my tank just for him but he never even goes near it and prefers to eat stuff like wafers and cucumber slices.

I'm asking because I have a problem involving it. I've boiled the piece of driftwood a number of times but it always lets out a ton of tannins unless I have plants in the tank. However, my plants always seem to die after about a month so I just want to take them out - I'm tired of picking out dead leaves and pieces of branches that are floating around! :irked:

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Depends on the species.

The Panaque species do need wood in their diet, something to do with the lignin and roughage being needed for their digestion.

The Common and Pterygoplichthys species dont seem to need wood in their diet. They hide under it, rasp algae off it, and generally like it in the tank, but it's not vital.

Ian

Neervana

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2008
UK
I put in a piece of bogwood for my gold nugget and he loves it, i see him grazing on it from time to time. try to get some of that instead of drift wood.

Ianab

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2007
New Zealand
Dont worry about it.

Having driftwood in a pleco tank will do no harm, it may stain the water brown, and lower the pH a little, but that does no harm to a pleco.

I dont bother with plants in my pleco tanks, you need to set up the lights and water conditions to grow plants properly. And then big plecos usually bulldoze the plants anyway. So I just decorate the tanks with some rocks, pipes and driftwood and keep the light level low. Any brown algae that grows gets eaten by the plecos anyway. The lower light level suits the plecos, they are less shy, and doesn't seem to upset the other fish.

Ian

rba718

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Miami, FL
Ianab;1813472; said:
Dont worry about it.

Having driftwood in a pleco tank will do no harm, it may stain the water brown, and lower the pH a little, but that does no harm to a pleco.

I dont bother with plants in my pleco tanks, you need to set up the lights and water conditions to grow plants properly. And then big plecos usually bulldoze the plants anyway. So I just decorate the tanks with some rocks, pipes and driftwood and keep the light level low. Any brown algae that grows gets eaten by the plecos anyway. The lower light level suits the plecos, they are less shy, and doesn't seem to upset the other fish.

Ian
My Pleco would bulldoze plants and what not too, another reason I was having probs with the plants. Thanks though!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store