Rain Water Filtration

Fatmantechno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
hawaii
Hello Everybody. I Have been using the rain water from my roof for my pond for the past 2 or 3 weeks. I used about 5 or 6 tester guppies to "test the waters" :ROFL:. But anyways the first week the guppies did fine and I had no dead guppies. This past few days there has been a lot of rain and all of my guppies have died within the past 2 days of rain.

:help2: SOMEONE. I found most of the guppies just dead on the bottom of the pond. 1 guppie i found doing a sorta swirling spin thing and then he died. The other just kinda floated on the top of the water obviously sick but no signs of ich or anything external. when I came home i found the last of them dead with fungus and ich on thier dead bodies. Something in the water? I thought disease from the first one I found but the dead ich and fungus bodies within 1 DAY!! I am all confused.

What type of filtration could I use for this?

Fatmantechno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
hawaii
I am not sure what the roof is type is called. Cap sheet maybe. Its the one they lay tar down and you lay the sheets over it and has that grey gravel grit.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Here it's called rolled roofing.

Can you have the water tested (local or city water lab)? Possibly acidic rain. You've been having a lot of volcanic activity there recently, have there been complaints of plants dying and auto paint jobs getting screwed-up?

If pH is is way off, fish will loose their slime coat and infections will set in quickly, plus the water maybe low in oxygen content.

You can get filters for this but you need a holding tank to process the water.

Dr Joe

Oreo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 7, 2008
Baltimore
I get this information from working as a munincipal water supply treatment plant...

Although contaminants from your roof area posibility, the rainwater itself could be the cause. When we get a lot of rain here I notice all sorts of water parameters start going haywire. pH, alkalinity, hardness, disolved solids... they all can swing pretty widely & change- well, like the weather.

For fish living in large ponds a half inch of rain due to dilution may not change the water parameters of the pond enough to be a problem. But if you have a small pond, a good rain storm could turn over the water more then 100% in a very short time. Obviously this has the potential to offend your fishes' taste for consistency.

I suggest doing a number of full-panel water quality tests on your pond. Get a good baseline after it hasn't rained in quite a while. Then test again after a heavy rain storm, & then again every few days there after to see how the water parameters fluctuate over time.

808flipsyde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2008
da rock
what Dr.Joe said about the volcanic activity could be exactly right! It did rain a lot after the eruption on the Big Island and I'm not exactly sure what Island your on but it did affect the other islands.....here ya go bradda.....

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Although volcanoes on Oahu are extinct, volcanic hazards do affect the island. Volcanoes spew noxious plumes of acidic gases. The resulting vog and laze effect many communities across the State, including Oahu. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]When a volcanic erupts, sulfur dioxide within the molten rock is converted to sulfuric acid. The resulting plume is known as vog (volcanic fog). [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Gases are also produced at the ocean. When the lava enters the ocean, hydochloric acid is produced - called laze (lava haze). Both of these gases can contain particulate matter, such as volcanic glass or trace metals. [/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Vog and laze are carried by winds across the county. The impacts include:[/FONT]​
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] obscured views; [/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]lower agricultural yields for certain crops;[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] adverse health effects for people with respiratory or heart conditions; and[/FONT]
  • [FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] acidified rainwater catchment tanks (which, in turn, produces a secondary hazard of leached lead in local water supplies). [/FONT]

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store