How to reseal a tank?

dln78

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2006
Fish Land
My tank is getting old and I think I need to reseal it. Can you give me the steps and how do you tell when you need to reseal?

mercury904

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Aug 15, 2006
Philippines
What do you mean by reseal? like dismantling them and gluing them again?

FYI:

-Glass gets more brittle as the age
-the Glass' pores are filled by sediments thats why old oned are cloudier (microscopic)
-green algae grow in between silicon bonds thats why some tank leak
-you can use Razor blades to remove watermark and silicon
-vinegars can be used to remove watermarks
-replace the front panel for a clearer view
-put new styro on the the tank's bottom

evercl92

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2006
Columbus, OH
www.2slowracing.com
you'll need:

-new razor blades
-acetone
-GE II window/door silicone
-caulk gun

Razor blade off all of the silicone that you can. Use the acetone on an old cloth to help loosen remaining, razoring off as you go.

If glass is hazy, stand tank on end, and allow to soak in vinegar 20-30 mins, razor it clean afterwards.

Allow to dry.

Plan to seal the whole tank in one sitting. New silicone doesn't stick well to old/cured. Be generous on the bead that you put down, you won't be seeing it behind the tank's rims or under the substrate anyway.

Allow to cure 48hrs.

Water test for leakage.

seamus

Gambusia
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2007
NJ
I'm anal about how the bead looks so I use painters tape to mask off both sides of the bead. Also, I use the back of a spoon to spread the silicone. Make sure you remove the tape immediately.

ProblEmZ

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 21, 2006
Lynnwood, Washington what!

Ctenopomafiend

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2008
Sitka AK
I resealed my 75 gal and it was a messy stinky process. Make sure to do it in a well ventilated area. I did it in my basement thinking the windows opened up and they didn't my eyes were burning.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store