Buying first LARGE tank for 2nd floor apartment would a 150-gallon be safe?

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
I know there are a lot of variables, as far as tank final weight with gravel, rock etc...

I am planning on purchasing either a 125-gallon Aqueon or a 150-gallon Aqueon for my 2-bedroom apartment.

The tank will be setup BARE, super-filtered to raise 3 baby butterfly koi, that yes I know will outgrow the tank.

I just closed my large 7000 gallon pond and sold off the large standard fin koi and need some fish RIGHT AWAY because I am very sad about the whole thing, but had to close the pond due to time constraints, and no longer living at my parents home were the pond is located.

Do you think a bare filled 150-gallon tank on stand will be to much weight for a 2nd floor apartment? I am going to be using the Classic MIssion series stand from Aqueon for the tank.

I had a 180 gallon many years ago, but it was kept in my basement so weight was not an issue.

I would feel safe setting up a 125-gallon, but want to push for the biggest I can. A 150-gallon has me a little iffy, and I would never try the 180-G or 210-G.

Regardless if I go with the 125 or 150, I can't wait to show some pictures when its done.

Going to have black background, black background on the floor of the tank, and filtered like crazy with a combo of AquaClear 110's, Aquaclear 70 Powerheads and atleast 2 Fluval FX5's maybe even 3, if I can get the standard piping to all fit.

Going to be plain, and perhaps quite sterile looking, but that is going to be so I can stay on top of water quality with massive water changes to keep things running smooth.

Thanks for reading...

Sir-KS

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 10, 2008
NYC Queens/Thailand
i think it would work but put the tank next to a wall so the base of the floor can support the weight. 125GAL = 1400 .... 150GAL = 1800 lbs of water

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
I think you will be safe, my kiddie pool is 6' around on 4 joists with 150+- gallons with 200lbs of sand and have no issues. Joists are 2x8 also

HiImSean

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 23, 2007
kennesaw, ga
ive got a 125g that im about to set up on my 2nd floor apt. i figured about 1400lb and over 9sq feet is 155lb per sq foot. im not worried :)

Damon0306

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2006
New Jersey
As always thanks so much for the quick replies. The tank is going to be up against a wall.

Going to go with the 150 gallon... Time to get this project rolling... Will keep you posted.

Mr Pleco

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2006
West
Damon0306;1823340; said:
I know there are a lot of variables, as far as tank final weight with gravel, rock etc...

I am planning on purchasing either a 125-gallon Aqueon or a 150-gallon Aqueon for my 2-bedroom apartment.

The tank will be setup BARE, super-filtered to raise 3 baby butterfly koi, that yes I know will outgrow the tank.

I just closed my large 7000 gallon pond and sold off the large standard fin koi and need some fish RIGHT AWAY because I am very sad about the whole thing, but had to close the pond due to time constraints, and no longer living at my parents home were the pond is located.

Do you think a bare filled 150-gallon tank on stand will be to much weight for a 2nd floor apartment? I am going to be using the Classic MIssion series stand from Aqueon for the tank.

I had a 180 gallon many years ago, but it was kept in my basement so weight was not an issue.

I would feel safe setting up a 125-gallon, but want to push for the biggest I can. A 150-gallon has me a little iffy, and I would never try the 180-G or 210-G.

Regardless if I go with the 125 or 150, I can't wait to show some pictures when its done.

Going to have black background, black background on the floor of the tank, and filtered like crazy with a combo of AquaClear 110's, Aquaclear 70 Powerheads and atleast 2 Fluval FX5's maybe even 3, if I can get the standard piping to all fit.

Going to be plain, and perhaps quite sterile looking, but that is going to be so I can stay on top of water quality with massive water changes to keep things running smooth.

Thanks for reading...
killzkc on here has a 150 tall on a third story I believe. I think it is able to be done. Just need to find a load bearing wall and you should be set

ITHURTZ

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 11, 2007
Antioch IL
fwiffo;1824719; said:
this advice is not good. for that amount of weight and potential hazard, you need something to reinforce confidence in setting up the fish tank. read this article and consider it carefully:
http://badmanstropicalfish.com/articles/article28.html
have you personally done this, or just by going by your opinion? IMO people that have DONE IT need to speak up not people second guessing. I have a 6' kiddie pool IN my bedroom 150gallons and going strong. The worst thing that could ever happen would be the floor bounces when you walk by, then you know your slightly over the limit. I bounce on my floor and it doesnt move.

It all depends on your construction to (not sure about apartments, some are steel) but newer houses use pine for joists, some use OSB I beams which are far superior, and older houses use the harder wood (as mine does)

fwiffo

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
USA
yes, i understand where you are coming from, but that is the point of my article i pasted. home are not exactly the same, as you pointed out in the age of your home; there are many, many differrences in grades of wood, construction, age, etc. the factors are boggling. this article can help a homeowner go by what is seemingly written by a man who understands engineering. besides, if a structural collapse does occur, and it does from time to time as some members have sadly discovered, home or renters insurance (landlord's as well, for the insurance on their rental property) will examine placement of the aquarium (load) and where it is situated. all that kinda stuff is important to me; so thats why i posted the link, as the originla poster may not be aware of the information. dont take it personally; its just not as simple as it is made out to be. ok?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store