Black substrate at Menards...

Ironmahn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Bucyrus, Ohio
What is your opinion on this being aquarium safe. I understand that this is sharp but the fish that will be in there are not really diggers.

Thanks guys!

Monteferro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Canada
Hey, I would love to see some feedback on this as well...

Anyone using this stuff?

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
TheFanatic;1830826; said:
Almost forgot...

SAVE BIG MONEY AT MENARDS!!!

Funny, we don't have Menards in St. Louis but any time I drive north I hear that commercial...
It's like a Midwest Home Depot or Lowe's wannabe...

Anyway, the only part that concerns me is the 'coal slag' on the bag. I'm not really sure on this one. I certainly wouldn't go dumping it in a well established tank. I'm all for testing it on a small tank with some small inexpensive fish.

Ironmahn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 30, 2008
Bucyrus, Ohio

mithesaint

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Buffalo NY
I had something similar in a test tank for awhile, but decided not to use it. I thought the grain size was too small, and it was more of a dull black than a rich black. Poop was obvious and looked terrible. Granted, that was with a goldfish in a 10 gallon (oops!), so maybe with different fish in a larger tank it would look better. Try it, and let us know. I've got a 135 on the way for my rotkeils, and I would prefer the black substrate for them. I might try it again. We'll see.

SCBARTELS

Candiru
MFK Member
Oct 17, 2006
Iowa
i have been useing this sand in 2 of my tanks for about a year. i have it in a 55 gal with some africans and in a 125 gal with south/central americans. the only real problem i have had was with a cheap aqua tech filter. i havent had any problems with the fish diging in it. you just need to wash it really good.

Scatocephalus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2004
Rio Negro
Doesn't coal slag contain a lot of heavy metals? It may not be toxic to people based on the MSDM sheet but if it leeches metals into the water it may be pretty bad for fish.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Testing showed lung fibrosis and reduced toxicity (as compared to the positive control material) and silicosis/asbestosis. All testing was done with an eye towards airborne particulates. No testing was done on any aquatic species'.

1) Put some in a glass coffee pot with distilled water (no contaminates) and boil for 30 minutes (boiling just speeds up the release of any contaminates).

2) Smell vapors.

3) Let cool,, look for a film or residue on the water's surface.

4) Taste water for contaminates (or you could have the water tested by a Laboratory, probably the smarter of the two).

If your not willing to #4 DON'T put your fish in with it!

Dr Joe

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store