minimum setup for snails

uberunce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto
i bought some plants from a guy a few months ago and specifically told him not to have snails in the same tank and of course the guy did. with the plants came 5 ramshorns, 3 pond snails and 1 MTS. though the plants were just najas grass (guppy grass) i didnt want the snails to ruin the plants so i stuck them in a jar in the tank with a cover (strainer from a jar of pickled onions). i would like to eventually set up an invert tank so might as well keep these guys until i get that started up.

in the jar that the snails are kept in i rinse the water out to get rid of there poop with the same tank water they are already in and pluck out any eggs that are near the top of the jar and place them into another jar outside the tank. i do this every few days and now all the snails have hatched. from 5 ramshorns (im guessing most of them are ramshorns) theres about 50-100 baby snails in this second jar.

now i need a place to house these snails and the only tank im willing to place them in is a 2.5g tank my little cousin doesnt use anymore. obviously too small to place a filter in, and i dont know if a 50w heater is even necessary. just need to know what kind of setup do i need to keep these snails alive. of course i wont be putting any substrate in since they are too small. and is an airstone necessary too?

cjack

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2007
Fish Planet, Deerfield Illinois
a 2.5 gal is fine, the airstone would only be worth it if you have one lying around, the heater isnt neccessary unless your house/fishroom gets below mid-60s. the only thing i would put in with the snails would be some plant clippings, maby some of that moss if you can spare it, or some Anarchris (elodea), just so they have something to eat.

uberunce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto
thats for the help. how about water changes? necessary, and how often?

Sic_Maggot13

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 12, 2008
San Diego
same as any other tank really, what are you going to do with the snails? you should get a fahaka they will eat all of them haha

uberunce

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 22, 2007
Toronto
hopefully if anyone is crazy enough to trade me for some shrimp :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store