how safe is fiberglass resin

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
:confused:The reason im asking about fiberglass resin again is im planning on sealing a tank completely with the resin ive got it down to an art now is it really neccacary to coat over with safe epoxy.

I have to order some safe epoxy for a friends build because i cant take any chances on someone elses tank.

i live near a automotive parts store and dont own a vehicle so this resin is the easiest to get for me.

i also have fiberglass resin on a 150 gallon i built its full of water with no equipment or fish and would like to know if the resin is safe on a saltwater set up if not would it be ok on freshwater.:confused:

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
I ve found the culprit to using a tub and tile epoxy that read baby safe this did not work they said you can use fiberglass resin as a coating and am now weary of this it was on wetweb media. The tub and tile epoxy wasnt pretty bad stuff dont use it.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
The resin is fish safe after it has fully cured, however it is just ugly. Dye/coloring can be purchased for it if you don't really want to coat it with something else. If the resin is not mixed well, it will remain sticky after it has cured. It will then need to be coated with something else.

There are two predominant types of resin, isophetholic and orthophetholic. One is marine duty and the other is not; I don't remember which is which so you will have to do some research. If the resin at the auto parts store does not say it is suitable for marine use, then do not use it. Look in your phone book for a fiberglass supplier. They will have the knowlege you are looking for. The will also have the tools you will need to do the job properly...including a vapor mask so you don't wake up in the morning with a headache.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
Thanks for the quick reply chompers it saved from a second disaster waiting to happen
it's definately the wrong resin as for the label it only states styrene polyester resin (fiberglass resin) with standard msds data sheeet and application instructions it was perfectly waterproof and fish safe for about two weeks.

I had the tank sitting with water and no fish during this period and after the water sat in the tank for this time period theire is now a chalky residue on the wood wich im confident woul kill and habitants in the tank.

The reason i did this was i read a forum on a different site where this tank was sealed in the same manner and it was the same type resin i guess because someone else did it that dosnt make it right.

A lesson learned and i can now reccomend not to use this approach.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
bigbaddad;1839686; said:
Thanks for the quick reply chompers it saved from a second disaster waiting to happen
it's definately the wrong resin as for the label it only states styrene polyester resin (fiberglass resin) with standard msds data sheeet and application instructions it was perfectly waterproof and fish safe for about two weeks.

I had the tank sitting with water and no fish during this period and after the water sat in the tank for this time period theire is now a chalky residue on the wood wich im confident woul kill and habitants in the tank.

The reason i did this was i read a forum on a different site where this tank was sealed in the same manner and it was the same type resin i guess because someone else did it that dosnt make it right.

A lesson learned and i can now reccomend not to use this approach.
I had fish in the tank for a few days (the 150) and then removed them due to my concerns i decided not to use a fiberglass resin after your reccomondation and from what i saw in the big tank my 90 has started to be sealed in a safe manner.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
If i use sweet water epoxy paint will i have an issue with addhesion to this or do i need to use the gel also.

billm90

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
n/A
bigbaddad;1839686; said:
after the water sat in the tank for this time period theire is now a chalky residue on the wood wich im confident woul kill and habitants in the tank.
This could be caused by something else.

I have thrown drift wood into glass tanks and they get this white film on them. I have removed all that drift wood.

More details on what happened would help solve if this resin is a problem.
everything I have read says not to use it. but I am wondering if this is because one guy failed, or net myth, or some chemical guy actually knows what he is talking about.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
I have nothing in the tank accept water i havnt had a fish in theire in a while and leary about trying it due to someone said somthing else would work and it was toxic.

i havnt found much information on results after its been used but ive found it being used the water condition was clean and the resin had a long time to cure before it was filled.

I could try a waterchange to see if that makes a difference does the chalky residue seem strange.

billm90

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2008
n/A
bigbaddad;1841997; said:
I have nothing in the tank accept water i havnt had a fish in theire in a while and leary about trying it due to someone said somthing else would work and it was toxic.

i havnt found much information on results after its been used but ive found it being used the water condition was clean and the resin had a long time to cure before it was filled.

I could try a waterchange to see if that makes a difference does the chalky residue seem strange.
Do you have tap water in it? if so did you use some chlorine remover?
Is the wood actually chalky, or is it slimy?

I have soaked the wood I used in plain tap water and never got the slime. once I put it in declorinated water with a filter running, the slime showed up. both cases never had fish involved.

bigbaddad

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 3, 2008
calgary
yeah it did have chlorine remover and a filter running and it was slimy rather than chalky it had the appearence of being so after i rubbed my finger accross it.

and yes it did appear after.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store