Breeding Tilapia

Badflash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY USA
I recently got a couple of breeding colonies to produce nice red hybrid tilapia. Very cool system that produces all male fish.

Papa is O. hornorum.

Moms are O. mossambicas.

Louie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
South Florida
Badflash;1835450; said:
I recently got a couple of breeding colonies to produce nice red hybrid tilapia. Very cool system that produces all male fish.

Papa is O. hornorum.

Moms are O. mossambicas.
I always thought talipia were just food fish but must say very pretty fish you have worth keeping just for the looks

Fatmantechno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
hawaii
I was wondering. Have you tried breeding those male hybrids with any oreochromis feamales and what was the outcome. I have male red hybrids and a female nile tilapia and female oreochromis's think I'll get red from them?

Badflash

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 27, 2008
Wappingers Falls, NY USA
These are intended for food, but I think they have potential as an aquarium fish too. The purpose of the two species is to produce all male hybrids. The hornorum us a ZZ-ZW sex combo where the males are ZZ. The mossambicas are XY-XX like people where XX is female. Cross a ZZ with a XX and all the offstring are ZX. about 95% are male and quite red.

Your red hybrids were produced from such a cross then crossed into the niles to produce the Florida reds. It is anyones guess what crossing them back to pure hororums would give you.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store