DIY 6 Gallon Bucket Canister Filter

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
So I have been wanting more filtration volumn/area and output. The Modded Fx5 certainly gives you more volume/area and with some small fixes you could boost up the output.

I wanted a little more though. So here is my design and in THEORY it will work. This is just sketched out and runs off the same design of the Modded Fx5.

So far the parts list includes but is not limited too;

1x 6 Gallon Bucket (Wall thickness around 3/32") (USPlastics.com)

1x Gamma Seal Lid (USPlastics.com)

1x ValMatic Combination Valve (Used for purging and while draining the bucket with the pump, it will let air in.

2x 1" Bulkheads with slip fittings on both ends.
x 36" of 1" (ID or OD, havn't decided) PVC pipe.
x 3" PVC pipe cut in half for the intake and sealed output.
3x 90* 1" Bends.
1x sheet of perforated PVC

Lots of choices for mechanical filtration. I will list some of the choices that I have used in the Fx5. They are rolls of foam.

I was trying to come up with a name for the filter. Right off the top of my head I got AquaX10 :)

I think if I head up the plastic where the bulkhead fittings go, I should be able to get the plastic to flatten out a bit. I will probubly add some extra plastic, maybe acrylic in those area to help support the bulkheads.

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Looks cool. Let me know how that turns out, and the cost.

X24

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 19, 2007
Nebraska
Why is the valve "in your dreams?" Is it an expensive valve?

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
For a cheap purge valve, just add a DIY bulkhead to the lid and then add a small ball valve.

If you want something that will constantly bleed off any bubbles, add a tiny hose barb and run some air line up to the tank.

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Why is the valve "in your dreams?" Is it an expensive valve?
Well, my gut feeling says its expensive. I have something similar on my forced hot water heating system at my house so I could probubly find something like that cheaper at a home improvment store.

Looks cool. Let me know how that turns out, and the cost.
Here is a quick break down of the estimated cost;

All in US Prices.

6 Gallon Bucket........$7.96
Gamma Seal Lid........$7.28
Perforated PVC........$45.86
Shipping of above would be $61.10 to my house I could just use Egg Crate instead of Perforated PVC. Would be about $98.88 cheaper. haha.
Acrylic sheet...........$10.00
Bulkhead................$7.00 x2
3" and 1" PVC pipe would be less than $10.00
Quiet One Pump, 4000 Series.... $103, 6000 Series.....$120
Don't know the price for the adhesive.

So without the perforated PVC, the estimated total is under $200 roughly.

For a cheap purge valve, just add a DIY bulkhead to the lid and then add a small ball valve.

If you want something that will constantly bleed off any bubbles, add a tiny hose barb and run some air line up to the tank.
You and I think alike. I thouht of that same thing while I was first drawing this out. Then I though, all the water in the tube (if some happends to get in it) will have to spill out when disconnecting it to remove the cover. Hopfully the water that in the tube doesn't start a syphon from the tank :(.

I am going to be thinking of other ways to purge the system. Infact, I think I have a way that doesn't need a valve at all and works internally, it will need the aid of the pump on the intake side to purge 100% but will purge the system by about 3/4 of the way on its own. I'll keep you posted.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
Man, where do you guys come up with this stuff? That looks pretty cool. That's why I love MFK! So all of you geniuses can come up with the cool stuff first and then I can piggyback on the ideas!!!

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
Jgray152;1844327; said:
6 Gallon Bucket........$7.96
Gamma Seal Lid........$7.28
Perforated PVC........$45.86
Acrylic sheet...........$10.00
Bulkhead................$7.00 x2

...So without the perforated PVC, the estimated total is under $200 roughly.
Check out the swimming pool stores in your area (if any). Dry chlorine products come in buckets with resealable screw off lids. You can get one for free if you ask nicely (or carry an Uzzy).

The perforated plastic sheet can be had for twelve bucks if you are willing to go to Lowes and ask for plastic pegboard (often you will have to find it on your own because most employees will tell you they don't have it).

DIY bulkheads are simply a male and female electrical conduit fitting. Plumbing fittings have tapered threads and are not really suitable for use on thin applications (unless you have two very large wrenches).

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
I don't like wet/dry. They are not so good for mechanical filtration ut are great at bio filtration. Canister filters can have zero bypass.

ar0wan

Epistemologist
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Austin, Tx
Jgray152;1845125; said:
I don't like wet/dry. They are not so good for mechanical filtration ut are great at bio filtration. Canister filters can have zero bypass.
wat

Jgray152

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2006
NH
Well I suppose if you keep up keeping the pads clean they WD filters will work great. If the pads start to clog up though then your looking at lots of bypass.

anyways, im not a big fan of wet dry systems. I like canisters filter setups.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store