Need input on drains....... ASAP!

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
Okay... I'd finalizing my specs. on my new tanks and need some input on drain and return size/holes. This is for a 270 gallon tank with an overflow of 16"x5.5". I wanted to fit one drain hole and two return holes but do not know what size hole to drill for the bulkheads. The drain would be in the center of the two smaller holes for the water return pipes. I'm planning on running a FX5 rather than using a wet dry for the plumbed underside and perhaps a second FX5 into the actual tank. I was thinking a 2" drain and two 1.5" returns thru the overflow chamber. Any input would be great.

ar0wan

Epistemologist
MFK Member
May 4, 2007
Austin, Tx
Sounds monster! (just right)

House 64

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2006
An island somewhere......
One more question to add........... is a 16"x5.5" overflow necessary? Or can I get a way with 10" or 12" by the same width? Other than accessibility what other downsize is there? Don't want to eat up too much room inside the tank.

calisucks

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2005
Big overflows with deep teeth if you're using a high flow pump.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
House_64;1845866; said:
One more question to add........... is a 16"x5.5" overflow necessary? Or can I get a way with 10" or 12" by the same width? Other than accessibility what other downsize is there? Don't want to eat up too much room inside the tank.
The smaller the overflow the greater the flow over a given area. You'll have more problems with food and possibly small fish getting sucked over the overflow. It seeks like you could get away with less than 5.5" and still reach your hand in, I would make it longer and narrower to save space.

Sounds like an awesome tank! Glass or acrylic?

shoefreak03

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 4, 2005
in my own little world
how much flow are you expecting with the pump. as calisuck noted, the bigger the teeth, the more flow it can handle. the size hole drilled depends on the bulkhead used, they have cheaper ones that require smaller sized hole and some are bigger bulkhead that require bigger holes.

you might want to go less on the return smaller than 1.5". it is near impossible to find return kits like the loc lines for anything greater than .75".
i have 4 x 1" returns but ended up using a reducer to .75" so i can use the loc line to direct the flow.

good luck although not sure why i'm helping since i'm jealous of you getting 4 new monster tanks.. haha.. :D

jlnguyen74

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
United Species of Arowana
If you are using FX5, then four 1 1/4" holes, two drains and two returns The inside diameter of a SCH40 PVC 1 1/4" bulkhead is 1", so you can connect your FX5 to it perfectly with the 1" barb fitting. If it was me, I would use wet/dry with overflow box, or no overflow box, if I use FX5 - you can save 100 bux on the overflow box, and don't need to spend more on the bulkheads

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
R1_Ridah;1921524; said:
I'm sure Sean likes this comment...:ROFL:
Damn Joey still having nightmares of THEE PICTURE?:ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL::ROFL:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store