Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2008
Australia
Would value your opinions....

I am setting up a new home for my Aro and KKP
6x2x2.5ft tank with 5 ft sump w/d filter

Had everything set up with bioballs and matala mats
Put in an old dirty cotton wool from a running filter (squeezed the gunk into tank)
Used Seachem stability as per instructions
Put in 9 small goldfish and fed them every day

Param
pH 7.6
Temp 29deg C

I checked my param 3 days (for the first time) after starting and found

Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0.2
Nitrate 5

3 days later
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

2 days later
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 10

I cannot believe that i have cycled in 8 days...........but the fish are ok
what do you guys think? First time i have used stability so no idea if this really mucks up the results?

All opinions welcome

shookONES

Casper... the not so friendly ghost
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2005
Totowa, NJ
I've cycled tanks as big as 210g in a day or two. The trick is using established media. The beneficial bacteria that cover the media multiply faster than you can imagine.

AroKing

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 23, 2008
Australia
so you think my tank is cycled? i am kinda nervous to put my fish in as i am use to taking about 3 weeks for cycling

thanks for your help

Loubard

Fire Eel
MFK Member
May 17, 2005
EU
Often I use a lot of used media from another tank, and 40% old water from another tank, use water conditioner and put the fish in right away IF I have too. Just keep a close eye on the water (test 2 times daily) and change plenty of water.

It also depends on how much fish you want to put in, high stocking after a short cycle is not good, a few fish is ok in my book. Problem is that there not really much bacteria to support a heavy fish load yet after such a short periode of time.

But if you can wait a few more weeks I would advise that, it's always a risk.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
9 small gfish aren't going to create very much waste in that much water that soon.

To find out for sure, test the water param's, then add a large quantity (as much as the Aro can spare) of used water from the Aro's tank. Re-test the water and then the next day to see which way it is going.

Caution is always advised when dealing with another life form.

Dr Joe

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
i personally dont think your tank is fully cycled. 9 goldfish in a tank that size are not gonna a big source of ammonia. i say if you really wanna be sure, take the goldfish out, and add PURE ammonia to bring the ammonia levels up to about 4ppm. wait about 24 hours and test your water. if your ammonia levels are down to 0, youre good to go. if not, youre bacteria is not fully established

soggysandwich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jun 28, 2006
Chicago, IL
jcardona1;1848163; said:
i personally dont think your tank is fully cycled. 9 goldfish in a tank that size are not gonna a big source of ammonia. i say if you really wanna be sure, take the goldfish out, and add PURE ammonia to bring the ammonia levels up to about 4ppm. wait about 24 hours and test your water. if your ammonia levels are down to 0, youre good to go. if not, youre bacteria is not fully established
:iagree:

West1

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2007
I'm about 2-3 weeks away from cycling my 300:naughty:

Ganna start today to throw my 3 filters (2 renas and 1 60gl sump with bioballs/ceramic rings) onto my 50gl that is established:D
Hopefully this will speed up the process when I get my 300 going:headbang2

Just a quick Q??? Does Driftwood also make a diff if it is in an established tank to put it in a new tank (in other words, does it also carry the good bacteria?) to help the cycle?

Thanks

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Both Dr. Joe and jcar have the right idea. You really want to test your system's ability to handle a heavy bio-load over a short period of time. If you get ammonia or nitrite spikes the next day, you have some more cycling to do.

joel

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 14, 2005
THE GARDEN STATE
if you have your fish in another tank now why don't you just wait a few days. i have dumped fish in tanks that weren't cycled long enough and some did fine others were very stressed out for days. If you are going to go ahead with it add as much bacteria from the current tank (bioballs, water, dirty rocks, plant, ect.) before you do it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store