Moving my 210g, do I need to keep the old water?

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
Ok, so I'm gonna be moving my 210g to a new place, about 45min away. Question is, do I need to transport some of the water, or can I just add fresh water and treat it when I set the tank up? I know this would be along the lines of a 100% water change and some people think its fine while others think its bad for the fish.

My tank/filters are currently established and these filters will be used again with the same tank. So what do you guys think? Suggestions, comments??

Thx!

scubasteve06

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2008
SC
youtube.com
I am in the same boat as you j...I was thinking of using the 30 or some odd gallons I am going to transport the fish in as the first bit of water I add to my tank after it is moved, then adding new water and all established filters. Also I was going to put all my media in the transport bin in bags so it doesn't dry out and the bb stays alive.

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
You will just need to acclimate the fish to the new tank; don't just dump them all in as soon as you fill it. If you keep the old water, it will be less stressful for the fish. Probably not vital though.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
so whats a good way to acclimate the new fish? im not sure what ph levels are at the new city yet, but ph in my current area is pretty high...

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
scubasteve06;1851472;1851472 said:
I am in the same boat as you j...I was thinking of using the 30 or some odd gallons I am going to transport the fish in as the first bit of water I add to my tank after it is moved, then adding new water and all established filters. Also I was going to put all my media in the transport bin in bags so it doesn't dry out and the bb stays alive.
yeah my biggest concern is keeping the fish and the bb alive during the transport. the media in the FX5 is ok since it can stay submerged, ill just have to throw the scrubbies from my sump in a bucket...

Onion01

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 8, 2007
Miami
what I did was fill my tank with new water, then acclimate my fish from the old to the new. It's like a free water change!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I've always just filled a trash can with old tank water, tossed in the fish there, then just pulled hobs moved tank dump in old water and fish then topped off.

Never had any troubles..... Moved 3 times in the last year and a half.

jcardona1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2007
South of Heaven
DB junkie;1851494;1851494 said:
I've always just filled a trash can with old tank water, tossed in the fish there, then just pulled hobs moved tank dump in old water and fish then topped off.

Never had any troubles..... Moved 3 times in the last year and a half.
yeah but how do you move 210 gallons of water?!?!??!?!?! sounds like a nightmare :eek:

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Test the water that you currently have in your tank and test the tap water where your moving to. As long as the pH isn't too far out of whack, you'll be fine. Transporting the water isn't necessary. As long as you keep the media in your filters submerged, your BB should be fine. Sounds like you're planning on doing things the right way. Good luck with that move, ugh! I don't envy you at all!

DB junkie

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2007
Iowa
I'm not saying take 200 gallons of water....LMFAO

I'm saying take enough water to transport the fiches.....Dump the water and fiches all together into the empty tank....then top off.

I use a rubbermaid ag vat when I move. Throw it in the back of the truck back the truck up to the door and pump water into the vat. Fill trash cans with water and fish then
if I need more water then whats in the cans I just pump from the vat.....IF I don't need it then the new place gets its first yard watering.

Another thing I learned real fast when having to move 6foot tanks solo is that PVC is your friend. Get like 5-6 pieces 2-2.5 ft long and just use them as rollers. Helps to have a lil minion pick up the rollers you rolled over and place them in front of the tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store