help me make a sump?

Toopato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Washington
so basicly i have access to a lazer cutter at my school and i just do what ever with it, but the other day i thought hey why not make a tank, so i made a test one, about 4 gallons (which im turning into a planted puffer tank) and it worked fine because i have weld-on ect..

but my question is does anyone have demensions or ideas for a custom filter?

FSM

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2008
Georgia
If you have access to a laser cutter, I think you should probably just go to your nearest LFS, and threaten to vaporize whoever is working there unless they give you one for free.

But if that doesn't work, its not all that complex.
basically in a sump, you have a wet/dry chamber, which means water trickles over the media instead of covering it completely.

I made this extremely detailed rendering of a wet/dry sump for maximised learning efficiency.

sump2.JPG

water comes in on the left, through the orange pipe (which is usually pvc) The first chamber fill up, and water flows over the top edge into the next one. The green lines is a drip plate, which is basically a sheet of plastic that has lots of little holes. Water spreads over this and drains down through the biomedia (usually bioballs) which is the yellow. The orange dotted line is basically like the green one, but with more holes, so water can drain out the bottom of the biochamber. The water level in this part of the sump is near the bottom of the chamber of bioballs. The pink thing is the pump, which pumps water back into the tank.

The blue bit is the water, BTW. And this is a side view.

I seriously spent like 9 minutes on that drawing (which is copyrighted by FSM inc.)

I deserve a prize.

Toopato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Washington
Sic_Maggot13;1854264; said:
well you would probably want to fit it under your stand, i would say a 10 gallon or bigger if you can fit it...
how would i fashion it onto a glass tank though

Toopato

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 3, 2008
Washington
yeah yeah how would i get it to flow down cus i cant do over flow its glass so would i need another pump

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store