need Help on ID of eel

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
Alright, obviously this eel likes to be shy, but I have a pic of him and the markings are pretty much all the way to the head. Anyone tell me what type of eel he is?

P1000232.JPG

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
just by sheer commoness *is that a word?* i would have to venture a first guess at a tessilata or honeycomb eel... better pic and/or desription required

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
BIGgourami;1856679; said:
just by sheer commoness *is that a word?* i would have to venture a first guess at a tessilata or honeycomb eel... better pic and/or desription required
BIG that does not look like a tesselata at all :screwy: I would go with Pholidichthys leucotaenia (Engineer Goby) by general pattern and shape.

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
Im 100% positive that its a (Engineer Goby) Pholidichthys leucotaenia and not a Honeycomb moray. If you look at the two pics I provided below you can see that the Tessalata Moray's patterning does not match the patterning in the 1st post, but if you look at the Engineer Goby it is dead on.... Then comes general body structure of the fish in ?. The Moray has a more rounded shape with a higher frame opposed to the Goby which has a more flatter and thin frame to it.

206835.jpg

Pholidichthys_leucotaenia.jpg

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
idk i dont see a caudal fin (engineer gobies dont have one either) i see a pointed tail partially hidden by a small pebble
but upon futher examination (that first thing was just WAY out there) convict blenny/enginerr goby it does seem to be

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
hey big your pic looks EXACTLY like my eel.. i didnt think engineers looked like that.. i will try to get a much better pic tonight, yesterday my girls were disturbing him and i didnt want to over stress him.

dr_sudz

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Mar 6, 2006
Wiarton, Ontario
www.fishinabox.ca
I just did a quick search of engineer goby, and wet media had pics of babys and one at my size. That is def what i thought an E Goby looks like, i had always seen them at baby stages. Thats pretty cool. Thanks everyone!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store