Need help finding replacement filter media-

destro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Hebron, Indiana
So I have some really old (some of it dates back to 1968!!!) large scale filtration equipment I am trying to get functional again.

The filter itself is a pressure canister that is about 14" diameter and a good 24" high. It is all stainless steel, but the filter inside it sat for the last 6 years in putrid water. In 2002 no one drained the filter propperly when they shut the system down and it still had about 6" of water in the bottom of the filter. Not sure where I can find a replacement filter cartridge for it- I will post pics of it on Monday. I have both a wet/dry and cannister filters at home but nothing like this. It is powered by and external 1HP motor (no GPH rating on it, but it does clearly say on the side 1HP pump). The pump was new in 2002, but the cannister filter was not replaced at that time. I have not found a date (or company name) on it, but it does have a nice clear stamped instruction on it. It has a pressure guage on it, as well as input/output valves with bypass. The pressure it is to operate at is 50PSI.

With this system I would like to find a replacement for the paper filter if at all possible- I am not ready yet to run scrubbies in it for a 3500 gallon tank...

I will post pics on Monday, hopefully someone can help me out!

Thanks in advance!
~Kevin

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
scrubbies would be silly..... swamp cooler media would be the way to go :woot:

destro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Hebron, Indiana
Now the pics of the pump room- I need ideas on filtration, as it looks like this is a pool filter I am going to need more bio filtration that this. I also want a UV filter.

Pump and filter:

Closeup of the 1HP electric pump:

Pump and filter plumbing:

Pressure guage on filter:

Filter media (the old one):

MONSTER heater:

Heater control:

Temp guage on heater intake, there is a second one (not pictured) on heater output pipe.

Closup of the filter label- not really able to read it in pic, sorry.

Pipes for intake and overflow- overflow is on right and goes right into drain, on left is pump intake and has valve to go to pump or drain

Pipes for filter output- red hose is drain for drip tray, goes into drain. Pipe on left is the unused pipe pictured below. Pipe on right goes into current filter output.

Unused pipe - looks to be old intake for pump (pump and filter replaced in '02)

Hawkfish3.0

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2007
Marlton, NJ
Interesting setup.

As far as the capacity of that pump, I would guess somewhere in the 10,000 GPH range for a 1 HP pump. Sorry, I can't really help with the filter media.

Knowdafish

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 12, 2007
Philippines
Use a sand filter! Who wants to clean any kind of media, especially for a large pond!

destro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
Hebron, Indiana
I am looking into a pond sand filter. Changing the media is pretty easy on the filter- I did it for the first time today since adding water- prefilter changed without spilling a drop, canister (obviously I do not have a new filter cartridge yet) opened and only spilled about 1 cup of water. Completed in only a couple minutes- shutoff pump, turn off the input and output valves, cutoff valves on either side of filters and change.

Can anyone recommend a good sand pond filter for 3500+ gallons? Also looking at either an inline UV or one combined with the sand filter. Keeping the existing filter too, because it is already paid for!

10K GPH sounds about right for the raw capacity, I think I am still probably turning over the H2O at least 2X an hour with the amount of lift needed (pond is on first floor, pump is in basement) about 8.5' of lift needed! This will go down as filters are added, but without filters the pond has enough agitation to make it look more like a hot tub than a fish pond! :)
Cheers!
~K

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
How about filling it with ceramic media? Do you have other means of mechanical filtration?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store