65 gallon tank cloudy...

Leptar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
NewEngland
I don't know what i am doing wrong....

Originally i had an Emperor 400 on the 65gallon tank... at the time it was more then enough for 2 1-1/2" fish..... well... as the Oscar and JD grew i picked up an AC110...I added a couple of pleco's and treated the tank for ICH those tablets ich clear i believe (been around forever)... well the water never went back to being clear... Tried everything, spent a ton of money on fancy filter media for the AC and Emperor, nada... picked up and hooked up an FX5 and expected the tank to get atleast 50% clearer in 24hrs... well it's 24hr's... and the tank still isn't any clearer...

Emperor is running an extra carbon tray along with 2 original cartridge filters and a new bio3 filter cartridge. the AC is running sandwiched sponge/poly/carbon max and eheim bio cells that were already established...

I dumped some established Hagen bio cells in the bottom tray of the FX5 along with a new package of them installed a polish pad on top... in the middle tray i installed 32oz of pura complete... on the top tray i loaded it with some bulk $$ carbon that the LHS uses for his store tanks and his personal setups... installed a coarse pad on top of that...

so from top to bottom i have
coarse pad, allot of carbon in tray 1
Pura Complete in tray 2
bio cells in tray 3 with a polishing pad on top

Now all media except the bio cells are in bags and while i tried to make sure i got it to lay flat i know that there is some by-pass due to the bag size to the roundness of the media tray...

This is what the mfg recommends as they say to use the media bags.. i wanted to use a coarse filter pad cut in half (to make 2 circles not a half circle)to line the upper 2 trays and dump the media on top forcing the water to make full contact with the media...

Any help would be greatly appreciated... btw i got air bubbles with the fluval... but because i set it up quickly and it isn't in it's permenant home (i want to make sure it works first) i just installed it quickly from the front... it looks rather hacked but heard the trinkles in the output line from the pool days and just lightly tapped and took any loop/droop/slack out of the line until no more bubbles....
Any help/idea's would be greatly appreciated...

thanks in advance,
Paul

mini-tempsetup.JPG

mini-cloudy.JPG

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
im no expert on the ich tablets but if they are anything like the liquid stuff that my gf used once... you killed off most of yer BB and now you need to cycle yer tank again.. and then changing yer media just made it even worse... check and post yer levels then maybe we can help a lil more

fyi the best way to deal with ich is just to up the temp for a few days

Leptar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
NewEngland
levels are
nitrates 2ppm
nitrites 0
hardness is 75
chlorine 0
alkalinity is 120
PH is 7.2
not starving the fish but 2 very small feedings

as far as the ICH... yes the tank respiked because of the die off.. but the tank has re-established itself... the only new media is the FX5... the emperor always has the 4 slots filled and it goes thru a cycle... only 1 cartridge gets changed at a time... i just dumped the poly fiber in one of the clamshell cases and filled it with carbon to see if that helps...

Leptar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
NewEngland
every 3-4 days 20-25% every other change gravel gets a vacuuming but only 1/3 of the tank.

I really don't want to use chemicals... so if it's strip it down and a through wash and redo then so be it......

Leptar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 29, 2008
NewEngland
problem solved, thank you...

My 6yr old was secretly helping with the feedings... apparently he was feeding them "bread" would explain why the filters were clogging up...

I was thumbing thru some books when he walked into the room and tossed a slice of bread in the tank... I was shocked...

Now he is better educated in feeding and i have crystal clear water...

dad_jsp

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
Michigan
That isn't as bad as when my daughter, at the time 5, tried to help me clean my tank.

I woke up wondering what smelled so bad. I made my way down to the basement and saw a think foam at the top of my tank. Everything was dead.

She used dish soap to clean the glass on the INSIDE of the tank.

Kids will be kids

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store