help me make my wife happy...lol

1SiCk Mk3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
orlando fl
ok...so my wife is jealous of my tanks and says she wants a tank bad...i have 3 freshwater tanks and love my monsters....but my wife wants a reef tank...now i know most of the basics and what not...i have a old 55 gallon im going to use...i have a protien skimmer rated to 130...so i should be ok...using a wisper 70 though i plan to be able to run this filterless when its fully cycled with all the live rock i plan on having...have been told that if u have 1.5-2 pounds of live rock per gallon it is more than enough for natural filtration....i dont plan on running a sump unless i make one later on...but right now not on the plans...also have a r/o unit so thats taken care of...now like i said i plan on having some coral...fish wise plan to keep it to maybe 5-6 fish and couple inverts...now my questions are the following...

1. my lfs sells live rock for 3.50 a pound if its over 50 pounds..3.99 if its under 50...what do u think??...should i look online for maybe something better????...just a lil scared of purchasing live rock...

2. lighting??...i know someone selling a used nova extreme t5...its the 48" with 216 watts...would this be ok??...i know some coral needs more light but would i be able to house a decent selection with this for now??...they are only askign 100 dollars and its only 5 months old...if not what other lighting do u guys recomend for a 55 gal???...

3. power heads??..how much flow do u guys think i need??...was going to go with 2 smaller ones to have one on each side over one bigger one...suggestions??....

well i think thats it...tell me if u guys suggest anything else before i take the plunge...about to buy everything i need tomorrow to set up during the week...thanks...alex

Rychek

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
My $0.02

1) $3.50/lb is a pretty good price for LR. If you like the look of it, buy it. Depending on your sales tax, it will be about the same price to buy LR on ebay and have it shipped.

2) You can keep just about any coral you want under a sufficient amount of T5 lighting. The Nova Extreme would probably be a great fixture to start with. I've got a 90g tank and I'm putting a T5 retro in the canopy.

3) At least 2 big ones. If you're going to do a reef, you'll want a good current in your tank. 2x Koralia 3s (850 gph each) would be a good place to start.

Other thoughts: get a good Live Sand bed. Avoid crushed coral substrate, Power Compact lights and dragonets (unless you include a refugium and give it sufficient time to produce a mature pod population).

1SiCk Mk3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
orlando fl
so i would be able to grow anemones and soft coral with a t5 light???..i thought they required alot more light??....im willing to spend a lil more if i need to on light...anyone else have some input???

1SiCk Mk3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 1, 2008
orlando fl
also...i hear mixed reviews on using base rock... but it would sure help out to not have to shell out 4 bucks for 100 pounds and just get 40 bade rock and 60 live...what do u guys think???...

OnceLoyal

Candiru
MFK Member
May 13, 2008
Around
Thats plenty of light man you at about 4 watts per gallon. GL to ya. Not sure about the rock though so I don't want to say.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
base rock work great for me.. it's a good way to get up to 1+ pound per gallon right at the start up.. it' does take a little longer to cycle and doesn't look the best it can.. but if money is more important to you, go for it

Hammerhed7

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 1, 2008
Chicago IL
Equipment wise you shou8ld be fine, with that light softies and some tougher lps would be no problem, I personally would run alot more light for an anenome.

The base rock is a good idea, look for some marco rock. As far as turnover shoot for a total of 10-15X the tank volume between your filer and power heads for softies.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store