question on out put pump on a sump

danzx23

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2008
st. louis
hey guys i just got a used sump and i got 4 different pumps i could use and was wondering if there is some kind of formula to figer out how strong of a pump i need and i was thinking of usen a canister filter to pull the water out and returning it to the tank for extra mechanical filtration anyone have any experiences with that? thanks

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
not a good idea to use a canister because they're designed to push more than pull. Usually they're fed from the same height as the return so it balances out and the pump can be more efficient. As far as flow a lot matters. You should take into consideration the amount and type of fish as well as the amount of media that is in the sump. What are you using for bio media, how much, and what type of fish (and how many) do you plan on keeping.

Also, what's the tank size?

Mattyou

Piranha
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2007
Jax Fla.
Flow rate also all boils down to the max amount of output tank can feed into your sump. You don't want a 1,000 gph pump on a 600 gph overflow I can promise you that unless the tank is really tall. I have a 90 gallon tank on a tall stand with a head height of around 7 1/2 feet, I run a mag 950 and a mag 700 on it with a 600 gph overflow that keeps up with them no problem. Match your pump as close as you can to your planned overflow systems capacity.

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
Mattyou;1868856; said:
Flow rate also all boils down to the max amount of output tank can feed into your sump. You don't want a 1,000 gph pump on a 600 gph overflow I can promise you that unless the tank is really tall. I have a 90 gallon tank on a tall stand with a head height of around 7 1/2 feet, I run a mag 950 and a mag 700 on it with a 600 gph overflow that keeps up with them no problem. Match your pump as close as you can to your planned overflow systems capacity.
Also it's ok to have a pump that's oversized as long as you make a bypass or choke it down with a ball valve (output only).

danzx23

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2008
st. louis
ok i got it set up pretty much with trail and error i went out and bought a pump but im haven problems adjusting the flow just a hair of a ajustment makes it eather slowly drain or slowly fill i have a ball valve on the overflow tube comeing down should i of put it on the out pump? im pretty sure il need another pump in that case also is there any thing to stop the shipon durring a power outage other then just level of the tank droping? its only a 20 gal sump on a 125 gal tank i have to other canisters to really filter the water

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store