300 Gallon Open Top Tank???

Monteferro

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2008
Canada
I have just taken delivery on a custom 300 gallon tank. I am now in the process of finishing the floor bracing (from underneath) and a few other finaltouches before it will be ready to be up and running.

Talking to the builder about lids/covers and he is suggesting leaving it completely open top (except for the braces) or at the most covering it only with egg crate in order to better aid in water aeration?

Most tanks I have had in the past have had the standard black rim with glass hinged lids...

Anyone have any thoughts on this...

I know for sure that I have to cover the tank with something because some of the fish I currently keep in my 150 gallon are jumpers...

Also, I am concerned about to much water evaporating and making the room damp...

Anyone have any advice or thoughts on this?

CichlidAddict

Gambusia
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2006
MN
Definitely cover it. You'll have a ton of water evaporation if you don't.
It will get plenty of O2 with standard glass tops.

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
Yeah, I would think any air pumps will be constantly replacing the thin layer of air you do have ....

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
cover keeps the heat in the tank.

brcacti

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 19, 2007
Arizona
cover keeps the fish in, heat in, water in, less evaporation.

koop171

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 1, 2008
ohio
U need moe then an egg crate. deffinitly get tops for it. to many fish jump to have only egg crate

Big Daves Rays

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 25, 2006
Seattle WA
I agree definitely closed top. aeration happens in the sump, air stones and pointing your returns towards the water surface to break it up and aerate the water that way.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store