Drip system Question

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Okay i some what understand how to set up a drip system to prevent you from haveing to do water changes on your tank so you have a line takeing water out of the tank and a line filling it back up all the time what i don't under stand is with the line that puts water back into the tank what do you do about chlorine in the water ? can you only use a drip system if you water doesn't have chlorine ?

Or do i not under stand it at all and thats not how they work

spiff

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 27, 2007
midwest
The premise is that it will add water so slowly as to not even be a factor. Or, if it is too fast, to put a charcoal or RO filter in line on the drip...

killerfish

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2007
colorado
Thanks i tried to do a serch but couldn't find the answer to my question probably just didn't look hard enough

rallysman

Polypterus
MFK Member
Aug 7, 2005
indiana
I use a carbon block on mine, but I'm guessing the rate is slow enough that it wouldn't matter. Chloramine is a different story I think .

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
^ Yep.
I haven't had a chloramine issue until recently. We had a water main break with the introduction of E-coli. They blasted the water with monochloramines for days. I set up a whole-house-filter (with carbon) to do my water changes on my smaller tanks. By the time I realized something was wrong, I had tanks of dying fish. My drip systems also suffered ill effects. No deaths but the fish were obviously stressed (lethargic and not eating). The wet/drys took a beating and couldn't keep up with the bio-load. Luckily I keep Amquel Plus on hand. It saved a lot of fish, but I lost all of my baby african ciclids.

Lately I have been detecting .02ppm of chloromine, and there have been no reported breaks. It has been reaking havoc on my filters. The chloromine goes right through the carbon. It has been said that chloramine just needs more contact time with the carbon but I am starting to wonder.

mike dunagan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 11, 2006
Pendleton, IN
www.freewebs.com
I do not use drip for that reason. Also with heavy stocked tanks you will still need to clean them and the filters on them. Prevent water changes yes, prevent cleaning NO. If you have chloromine I would not do it.

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Check to see if your tap water has chlorine or chloramines. If you have chlorine then it is something I would do. I don't have to change water, just vacuum and clean the filters once a week.

I do 100GPD in my 579 and use a relay with a float switch to eject water for 3 minutes at a time. I inject my own chlorine into my house water and don't treat the water that drips into the tank, other than an iron removal system. It has been running for about 5 months now. The pump turns on twice a day. I also have less than 10PPM nitrates, and it is constant. Weekly changes leads to high nitrates at the end of the week. My readings are constant.

CHOMPERS

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2006
Sunnyvale Trailer Park
tunerX;1875436; said:
Check to see if your tap water has chlorine or chloramines....

...If you have chlorine then it is something I would do. I don't have to change water, just vacuum and clean the filters once a week...
My water hasn't had chloramines in it for the last 20 years (that I know of). This is something new and sporatic. They are driving me nuts :screwy:

And I don't have to clean my tank other than changing filter media and ocassional glass cleaning (UGF). I automated my large tank as much as possible.

cichlaguapote

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2006
Pripyat, Ukraine
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store