Filtering a 1000-1100 gallon pool/pond

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
Alright, I just recently set up a pool that'll act as a temp pond, that is 10' in diameter and 30" deep when full. I know that the pool filter that came with it, won't work for keeping fish, at least not by itself. Here are several plans for the filtration.

Starting with the first:

Plan A: DIY filter with 2 55 gallon barrels.

1- Intake pipe from the pond into the pump. Either made of pvc pipe or will use some type of plastic/rubber tubing.

2- The pump itself. It'll be from 3/4 hp to 1 hp and should be able to pump at least 1000 gallons per hour.

3- 55 gallon filter barrels elevated on platform.

4- PVC piping into the pool, will flow due to gravity.

5- Plants in the opposite side of the pool that'll help filter and provide oxygen for the fish.

Inside part 3A-

There will be the usual mechanical filtration at the top to catch anything that wasn't caught by the mesh at the suction point from the pond and into the pump. The rest is in the pic, sorry about the bad hand writing.:nilly:

Alright, here are my questions about this set up:

Would that pump be strong enough to get water from the pond and into both filter chambers? Can I just use a regular 1 hp water transfering pump since this one won't be submerged? What brands do you recommend?

What would be the best way to secure each filtration level inside the barrel?

Would this be enough for the stock that is going to eventually be in there?

Eventual stocking: 5 large fish, 7-11 dithers.

1 male jaguar, dovii, umbee, red terror

7-11 fish that'll stay around 6-7" and be replaced periodically.

I'll get the other plans up later, have to go for now. Feedback would be appreciated, thank you.

jhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2008
Southern California
I'm no expert, but I've been looking at doing something like that for a multi-tank setup that will be under my patio in the back yard. What I was planning on doing is this:
1. pump from the tank (in your case, the pool) to a 'settling chamber' using micro strainer/filter.
2. The water from the micro strainer will go to a gravel/sand filter from bottom up and then flow back to the tank/pool.

Here is 2 article that describe how to build them:
http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=60393

http://www.koiphen.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36550

As for the pump, since your setup is very close to each other, you might want to look at a pump that deliver good gpm/gph and uses low watts. I would put them in a location where if later I decided 1 pump wasn't enough, I can add another one in parallel. You can set them up in parallel to deliver (a total of number of pumps) x gph/gpm @ head loss, essentially doubling your gph if you get 2 pumps in parallel. I think if you connect them in series, it's same gph @ 1/x (where x is # of pumps) the head loss. And most pool pump uses lots of electricity, so run them 24x7, you'll flip when you see your electricity bill.

Fish on Fire

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jul 7, 2007
Visalia/Berkeley, California
So it's gonna be more beneficial, in the long run, to buy a more efficient pump rather than use the pool filters that I have?

Here is plan B:

Inside part 2B:

Alright, with this one.

1- The mechanical filters that came with the pool, will obviously be used for mechanical filtration. They will be pumping water in from the pool, to the biological filtration box (the plastic drawer idea that someone else did).

2- This biological filtration box will have 3 levels. The first level will be filled with either bioballs or tons of cut up straws. I will drill enough holes in the bottom to let water through at a rate that is equal to what is coming in so that the top box doesn't get flooded. The second level will be some type of bio floss or some flat sponges (the type used in sponge filters), the holes in the first box will, hopefully, allow for pretty even distribution of spraying water. Slightly larger holes will be drilled in the bottom of this second level to help ease the flow. The final bottom level will be filled with more bio filter media with a drain either on the bottom of the last box, or the front.

3- PVC pipe that will allow water to flow easily back into the pond through gravitational force.

Each box in the bio chamber will be around 21"X14"X6", is that enough surface area to filter the pond for the above stock list, along with the help of plants?

Would this type of setup be cheaper than plan A? Will it be more easily maintained? I'm sure it'll be easier to set up/build as all I really have to do is drill lots of holes and connect some pipes or just use tubing.

As for Plan C, all that was was to buy a Tetra pond filter rated for 1000 gallons, about $79.99, along with a pump that'll give me at least a 1 hour turn over rate. That and to put plenty of plants in the pool/pond.

Please give me any feedback and thoughts on this.

jhan

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 8, 2008
Southern California
You need to look at the watts usage on the pump to determind how much it will cost you.
watt / 1000 = kw * $ per kw (from your electricity bill) * 720 (hours per 30 days) will give you an approximate monthly cost. I would not use the pool filters if they are cartrige based. My experience is that the cartrige based filter clogs up very quickely, and then restrics the flow. You may also want to add some room for UV/Heater.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store