oscar with sand bottom?

ChrisH

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 21, 2007
newfoundland, Canada
Hey i am switching my oscar jack dempseyt tank from gravel to sand bottom. I was wonderign would my oscar be fine with the sand, he takes big poops soemtiems i wa sjsut wondering if anybody else has oscars with sand bottom tanka nd if u could post a pick. also information on how to switch and egt the sand ina dn settled woudl help too:) thanks

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
sand is good. pool filter sand and a power head to circulate water and pushes the poo to the filter.

Gr8KarmaSF

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Jul 23, 2005
Quarantine Tank
Sand with Os are not a problem.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
they should love the sand. just remember that if they arent moving the sand around, when you do the waterchanges you need to run your fingers through it to release trapped gases.

djlancer88

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2008
Syracuse NY
ummm. yea. I put sand in oscar tank and if you dont mind it being spit all over the place you shouldnt have a problem. Id advise prefilters on you intakes to keep sand from getting into your impeller and destroying it!!! its happend to me.

pcfriedrich

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
North Central Florida
my O loves his sand. and its true, poo does just sit on the surface. but that's a good thing. it motivates you to vacuum/water change more often (about every other day for me). the powerhead to direct poo toward the filter intake is a good idea.

I'm off to do a quick poop vacuum.

my aquarium has never been cleaner since I switched to sand.

navygirl76

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Sep 6, 2007
Ohio
www.flickr.com
yeah i agree with you all on the sand. i absolutely love it, and will never go back to gravel again.

Yoji_嬰孩

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2008
rock in water
I have sand in all my tanks, best substrate out there well..... unless you go bare bottom which is great, but not much for aesthetics. Both make it a lot easier to clean though so whichever but sand is my choice.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store