Question about gravel

mrgrackle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2007
austin, tx
I need to find myself 150 gallons of gravel. Not gravel for a 150 gallon tank but 150 gallons of gravel. I already got 150 gallons of gravel but it turns out that it's got a bunch of limestone, shells, etc. in it. It automatically bufferes my pH to 8.0 and there's no changing it. Pour vinegar over it and is starts to fizzzzzz... Well I live in central texas and I think a lot of the gravel comes from the colorado river (limestone, shells, etc.)

Well, I was wondering where I could get ahold of a lot of gravel without costing me an arm and a leg. I'm afraid that any place like home depot is going to get their gravel from local sources and I'll just end up with more colorado river gravel.

This gravel is the gravel in my aquaponics system (http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=121390) and water at pH 8.0 is fine for my bluegill but a lot of nutrients get locked out from my plants at that alkalinity.

mrgrackle

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 3, 2007
austin, tx
People keep trying to sell me "blast sand" and it looks like it'll fit the bill, but everyone wants $6-10 for a 50lb (.5 cubic foot) bag. Any idea were you get this stuff in bulk?

haynchinook334

Giant Snakehead
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
\m/(O_o)\m/
pool filter sand....from your pool suppliers.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
go to a landscape supply yard.... they will have all different types and be able to tell you who has other types as well...

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
Home depot has a really nice natureal rock 3-4mm grains. I believe it was $4 for 50 lbs?

shadowspar

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 16, 2008
fl
over where i live theres a place called wingate supply. they are the cheapest place to buy sand,dirt,rocks,gravel, everything. and they sell in large numbers.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
I have Home Depot River rocks in my tank and it's pushing my PH close to 8. I'm on the East Coast so I don't know if they get it local or not. The brand is Virto or something like that. I think I'm going to a local river this weekend and load up on stone bring it home and boil it up and use that. I'll get a much more natural look than the crushed (PH raising) stone from Home Depot. I've done that in the past for large rocks but never for Gravel.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store