Outside heat for a tank

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
Hey All,
I am going to be getting another tank this weekend. The concern is where I will put it. If I get another 36 inch long 56 no problem. But if I decide to get a a 48 inch long I may have to put in my studio. My Studio is an added room that I built in my garage, so there is no central air in it just a small wall A/C which cools it but it can get pretty warm in there especially during our 110 to 115 hot summers. So, how crucial is it to keep the area where the tank is cooler or equal to the temp of the water. Is there a system set up to cool tanks if they are getting too hot. Other than adding ice LOL. Plus the studio is my space and the Wife has no say in what goes in there. LOL! (she doesn't want another big tank but I am getting one anyways) So If I don't have to worry about the room temp I could probably put a 200 to 300 gallon easy. As I really don't have space in the house for much more than maybe a 75. Bunch of short walls and lots of doorways.

Sometimes it is better to ask for forgiveness than to ask for permission!

frasertheking

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Feb 17, 2007
scotland
you can build a chiller for pretty cheap out of a fridge and a coil of plastic pipe .if you can find a temp controlled switch your set .

johnson5585

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 17, 2008
California
So at what point would I need something of this sort? It does not stay 110 all day and will go down to 80-85 at night. Will this be enough time to worry about the room temp? I am sure I can make something out of a smaller refrigerator if I need to as suggested. Is it going to be necessary though? Most of the fish I keep like it around 78-80 degrees. Just not sure if I even need to worry about it. How long will it take for a tank of 150+ gallons to heat up in this situation?

tunerX

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
You want to keep your aquarium at a consistent temp. You could need supplemental cooling 24-7. A gradual change of ~5 degrees from day to night isn't too stressful, but most people try to avoid any changes.

beno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2008
North Carolina
If you're sure you can make something like frasertheking says then you could set up the aquarium for a week or two and monitor the temperature. If it stays how you want great, but if it doesn't then make the chiller.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store