250 Acrylic Gallon Fish Tank

rburns007@sbcglobal.net

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2008
Sterling Hts.
I need advice on the breakdown and removal of a 250 Acrylic Gallon Fish 8 foot tank. I agreed to terms with a guy with a verbal agreement of $250 A nice deal considering I was about to spend 300 for a new 120 gallon glass tank. There is a lot of rock work and 12 various saltwater specimens including 1 starfish, tang etc...I will be picking up this tank which is built in the wall with easy access to back. It's on a f foot high stand and the doorwall. I will have to alter the plumbing a bit to to the lower profile. I need to either purchase a new stand or build one. Funds are a issue as I"m high on my budget already and I figure I may need to rent a box-truck for this. The tanks dimentions are 96 1/4 " x 29 1/2" x 24".

I also have no experience with salt water but I have freshwater nailed. This tank was intended for my growing Oscars and other South Americans. But it was truly jawdroping setup and would not want to change a thing and look for a 120 for my S/As

Dragon Hunter

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Apr 29, 2006
lalaland
thats a 300gallon tank u scored buddy. Is he including all the equipment? regaurdless you got a sick deal!!

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
for the stand i think 4x4's would work maybe space the vertical supports out by say no more than 24''

are you going to make this a fish tank or a reef tank with corals?
what kind of fish were you planning?

rburns007@sbcglobal.net

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2008
Sterling Hts.
He is including all of the existing fish. I don't know the types but I will get that info latter. I think it is a 300 gallon. My worry is getting it set up fo a short transition period. What test kets do I need and what would be the minimum gallons of water from tank will I need to transfer over to new location? When adding water, I know I need to add salt. Where and how much to add? I'm not panning a reef tank as I don't have the lighting or want to seal with that tpe of drain on my electric bill. He has a lot of live rock I beileve.

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
are you getting the rock witht he tank?
the sand and the rock will be much more valueable to you than the water ever will...

i would bring as much water as you have containers for, or enough horse power to carry.. whichever is lower ... it'll just save you some money..

as more mixing salt and water. i would reccomend a ~60 gallon garbage can or a very large rubbermaid container, etc.. add the salt, add the water, allow to thoroughly dissolve (overnight with a powerhead in the tub would work great) and pump or bucket into the tank...
i usually buy my water premixed, but then again the largest SW tnak i have is a 30 gallon, ALOT smaller than your new one..
you'll also want a protein skimmer if the deal doesn't come with one.. idk much about skimmers that large but i'd PM (private message) someone like zoodiver, crumbs, waterbaby, or alcohologist about that, they are all in charge of large tanks at work or have one of their own..

as for test kits i would recomend the Elos master SW kit.. API is rather common but kinda sucks in my opinion, i have their msater SW and reef kits and the tests are hard to read and aren't terribly accurate

you're going the smart way not making this a reef, both for ost reasons and for ease of care

BobbyG123

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2008
New Jersey
when you buy the salt mix it will have a cup with it(or atleast mine does) and its a cup of salt per 4 gallons of water by a hydrometer u wont get an acurate reading but make sure the salinity is good

Tongue33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
www.davescichlids.com
That is insane!! It will be awesome if you succeed in bgetting this tank to your house and set up while keeping it in the same condition.

How far do you live fromt he tank?

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
the 60 (if it is a FULL and a 60 gallon can) would need 60 gallons of water and 60 gallon's worth of salt.. something like 30 cups i think

rburns007@sbcglobal.net

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 28, 2008
Sterling Hts.
I just bought a Hydrometer & 2 drums of Instant Ocean for $45.00 a piece at petsmart. A bit more expensive than I thought it would be. I'm building the stand tomorrow. Hopefully I'll pick the tank up this Monday or Tuesday. I still can't get over the deal I found. I keep thinking the guy I'm buying it from is going to change his mind. But we did have a verbal agreement. I offered to leave a deposit but he said to just pay in cash when I pick tank up. What type of containers would be safe to house these fish in while tranfering and holding them until I can get the tank going? I'm thinking of the rubber maid boxes or drums.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store