Started the Ray pond this week

Harmonyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Calgary
I finally started the sting ray pond. My wife says that it is too big, but I say that is rubbish.

Truth be told it is a little bigger than I expected.

We are installing a new window above the pond, because once the pond is done we will never be able to do the window.

I have 2 windows for the pond ordered, one 5x2 and the other 3x2. I can't finishes framing until I get the windows.

I do need some help designing a wet dry filter system for the pond. would love some advice.

I also have a free standing glass ramp being built so the ray can come up and be hand fed. I will put some pics on it when I get it on Monday.

I am kinda tired tonight so I will let the pics speak for them selves. But I will talk about them another day

IMG_8625.JPG

IMG_8612.JPG

IMG_8619.JPG

IMG_8454.JPG

Gumby79

Candiru
MFK Member
Apr 23, 2006
Calgary
Looks like it going to be a cool project. I do have one suggestion though, if your pond has an open top, you may want to invest in a dehumidifier. Some of my tanks had open tops and in the summer it was fine but come winter out here I had serious humidity issues and was close to ruining my house but I picked up a dehumidifier and this past winter didn't get any ice build up on any of my windows.

Can't wait to see progress pics of your pond. :)

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
what are the dimensions.... in set up and filtration along with the DIY section if you search youll find lots of great wet dry set ups.... you can use them for a starting point..... looking forward to updates as this goes on....

Harmonyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Calgary
inside dimensions are 5x7 and 4 ft deep. I am having the window people cut a hole in the concrete for an air exchanger. I am also thinking of getting a custom made hot tub cover for the top. And yes a dehumidifier will be purchased.

tank125

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 20, 2005
Connecticut
Harmonyx;1879767; said:
inside dimensions are 5x7 and 4 ft deep. I am having the window people cut a hole in the concrete for an air exchanger. I am also thinking of getting a custom made hot tub cover for the top. And yes a dehumidifier will be purchased.
If by Air Exchanger you mean Heat Exchanger, there will be no need for a dehumidifier. The Heat Exchanger will be more effective and efficient.

Good luck with the build!

Harmonyx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 15, 2008
Calgary
I know zero about air exchangers. I just figured it was like a bathroom fan. I will go to rona tonight and look at them. the Coring people come sunday morning so I will need to know the dimessions of the hole they need to cut.

Rbacchiega

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 12, 2008
Canada
***tagging along

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
Harmonyx;1879892; said:
I know zero about air exchangers. I just figured it was like a bathroom fan. I will go to rona tonight and look at them. the Coring people come sunday morning so I will need to know the dimessions of the hole they need to cut.
air exchanger is just a fan that moves alot of air.... more energy efficient than dehumdiifiers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store