Comments needed on planned Oscar Tank

KaiserJeep

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 6, 2008
San Jose, California
OK, in an earlier thread, you guys convinced me that I cannot just install a 120g (4X2x2) tank in place of a sofa table in the middle of my room.

I will be opening the floor and pouring a bit of concrete and adding additional wooden floor supports in the crawlspace. But I still intend to place the tank in that spot - the outside walls are all either bookshelves, windows, fireplace, or movie screen.

Firstly I started keeping Oscars 30+ years ago and my last fish grew from 3" to 12+" in a 29g tank with a combination of undergravel filtration and a large outside HOB filter with activated carbon and poly fluff. (Yeah I know that was too small but he lived to a ripe old age and was healthy.) I made frequent (twice weekly) 5g water changes and fed a combination of Tetra pellets and nightcralwers and feeder goldfish. He died after 11 years of old age. I had quite a few Oscars prior to him but I was in the military and had to give them away every time I moved. I have been out of the fishkeeping hobby for 15+ years.

Now I want to keep and raise a pair of Oscars in the afore-mentioned 120g. I will construct the stand and canopy myself (I am a woodworker and have a tablesaw and other tools). I want to set up the tank for easy maintenance in minimal time. Here's the plan:

1) 120g All-Glass brand pre-drilled tank and glass top ordered from the LFS. (It has two of the Megaflow overflows, each with one 1" and one 3/4" holes.)

2) Custom stand with all equipment and plumbing in the bottom, and custom canopy with a combination of electronic dimmable flourescent daylight and Blue LED moonlights on digital timers (this part is easy, I'm an Electrical Engineer by profession).

3) Large 30+ gallon sump and oversized wet/dry bio-tower that is rated for 150g salt tank, or 200g freshwater, probably one of these: http://www.aquacrylics.com/aquarium_filters.htm
(The one with dual input hoses looks good.) The submersible pump in the sump is rated for 1100gph at 5' head.

4) Supplementary mechanical filtration of some type - I need input here. What filter and types of media are reccomended?

5) Approximately 100g water aging tank (probably a Rubbermaid stock tank) with utility pump and hose for twice weekly water changes, in the garage 10' away. I will use an airpump/stones and add water teatment drops each time I replenish the water. A seperate hose will get attached to the pressure side of the aquarium circulator pump to remove dirty water, which will get recycled onto my landscaping, also 10-25' away at the front door. (In other words, no carrying of buckets is desired.)

6) I could use tips on the plumbing. I know about using pipe unions from plumbing my swimming pool filter. I want FAULT TOLERANT plumbing - I'll leave extra room in the sump for draindown during a power failure, and the mechanical filter should either have a built-in buypass for servicing the media, or I'll make one with 3 ball valves. I assume I need an accessible ball valve below each bulkhead fitting on the tank bottom. The drain and refill hoses will have quick-connects. (I already have a manual start backup generator for extended power failures.)

Comments are welcome. I want to do this right the first time. I have at least 8 weeks until I can tear up the floor to start the project, the wife just ordered draperies and is picking out fabrics for reupolstery. I may want to start building the canopy and stand in about a month.

Gary

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store