need new lighting

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
whats up all im not sure where to post these questions so i figure i would give it a shot here. i am in need of new lighting on my 120 gallon since my old setup recently blew out.. im looking for a light type that will bring out the max color on my cichla, so yellow, gold orange, red, blue ect.... any suggestion?

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
would you recccomend T5s, power compact or regular floure.?

Fry

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Nov 24, 2005
New York
if you're not keeping plants or coral, i suggest saving some money and using regular fluorescents, you also wouldn't have to clean up or worry about the algae buildup that powerful lights may bring

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
Algae can be controlled by regulating the amount you use the lights and water changes. I no longer have live plants so the MH isn't on 8-10 hrs a day. I don't have any algae problems. Flo light just looks sterile to me, but it all comes down to personal opinion. MH is hot, expensive, but pretty.

bOOsteN aUdI

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 1, 2005
East Coast
agreed with the metal halids. i used to have a sps coral tank. i dont know if i need the shimmer and eleteric bill. i think im going to look into some flouro or t5s... now just to figure out how many bulb setup i need for a 120 gallon wide and which bulbs i should buy.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store