siphoning water from tank into wet/dry

luckypuck

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2007
california
i have to two 3/4" tubes that siphon water out of my tank from the top. they are connected together near the bottom of the tank (outside) so that there is one inlet into my diy wet/dry bucket that is under my tank.

now, the problem is that i do not know how fast the water will be flowing into the wet/dry. i calculated that each tube alone will siphon out approximately 540 gallons per hour if they were separate. but i am not sure what the flow rate will be if i connect them into one 3/4" tube. does anyone have experience with connecting two tubes into one? i was thinking of connecting them because i would think that the flow rate would be less than if both tubes were separate. i have an aquaclear 802 pump with a rate of 400gph.

or, should i just get a huge pump and separate the tubing or get smaller tubing. i like the 3/4" because it will be powerful enough to get any extra food or stuff like that.
any help will be appreciated

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
luckypuck;1906572; said:
i have to two 3/4" tubes that siphon water out of my tank from the top. they are connected together near the bottom of the tank (outside) so that there is one inlet into my diy wet/dry bucket that is under my tank.

now, the problem is that i do not know how fast the water will be flowing into the wet/dry. i calculated that each tube alone will siphon out approximately 540 gallons per hour if they were separate. but i am not sure what the flow rate will be if i connect them into one 3/4" tube. does anyone have experience with connecting two tubes into one? i was thinking of connecting them because i would think that the flow rate would be less than if both tubes were separate. i have an aquaclear 802 pump with a rate of 400gph.

or, should i just get a huge pump and separate the tubing or get smaller tubing. i like the 3/4" because it will be powerful enough to get any extra food or stuff like that.
any help will be appreciated

I have a dual 1" overflow hooked up exactly like you described, I get close to 300gph out of each overflow for a total of close to 600gph. The diy overflows don't move as much as a drilled overflow, and the rate that they flow is closely related to the distance from the T where it flows out and the bottom of the intake. the closer to each other they are the slower it flows.

ethnics

Piranha
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
SouthEast SD
you do not want a "siphon" overflow setup, you'll end up with water on ur floor i promise you.

make a OVER FLOW setup, it will let ur tank only outflow whats pumped in. much safer then what ur doing. and if ur power ever cuts out and ur siphon gets killed, it'll stop. then if the power comes back on it'll drain ur sump and over flow ur tank, then ur sump will be dry and if u have filter media and heaters in there everything will get destroyed.

OVER FLOW SYSTEM, look it up

chesterthehero

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 20, 2008
corona, ca
ethnics;1918876; said:
you do not want a "siphon" overflow setup, you'll end up with water on ur floor i promise you.

make a OVER FLOW setup, it will let ur tank only outflow whats pumped in. much safer then what ur doing. and if ur power ever cuts out and ur siphon gets killed, it'll stop. then if the power comes back on it'll drain ur sump and over flow ur tank, then ur sump will be dry and if u have filter media and heaters in there everything will get destroyed.

BS on this.... if you make a hole below the waterline your tank will only drain as low as that line...
if you ONLY have an overflow then all it tanks is one dead fish/uprooted plant to give you lots of water on yer floor...

both is the way to go...

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
ethnics;1918876; said:

I have simulated many many power failurs and my siphon has never broke. Also it sounds kinda of crazy to me, if this was the case then we wouldn't have a sticky for the diy. The only reason the siphon will ever break is gas build up ot its built incorrectly. I clear the gas out one a month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store