ac110 problem

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
My fairly new AC110 HOB is screeching like a banshee. First I noticed that the flow rate was going down. Knowing that it was the normal time for maintenance and clean out, I removed the filter and cleaned everything. I then put it back together, filled it, and fired it up. It suddenly started the screeching sound. I thought that maybe some sand got into the propeller when I was cleaning it. I took it back apart and thoroughly cleaned the impeller and its housing. Filled it up and fired it up again. It appeared that everything was good and then suddenly it started screeching again. Any ideas? I've had HOBs for years and years and I've never had this problem before!

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Make sure the rod that the impellar spins on is completely pushed into the motor housing, if it is loose or wobbles at all you will get noise. If this does not work then the impellar most likely has been damaged and it will need replaced.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
Bderick67;1908091; said:
Make sure the rod that the impellar spins on is completely pushed into the motor housing, if it is loose or wobbles at all you will get noise. If this does not work then the impellar most likely has been damaged and it will need replaced.
I made sure the rod was in tight. The screeching has stopped (pretty much - it occasionally screeches now) but it is still very noisy and the flow rate is terrible! Could this just be the impeller? I've never had one do this and only after a couple of months?

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
you will probably need to replace both the impeller shaft and impeller.

I have been keeping AC's for years and years and the only time I have had one screech was when the shaft itself and/or the impeller hole was worn.

if either or both of these parts (the metal shaft or the impeller hole where the shaft fits into) are worn, the impeller will spin off center and rub against the housing and cause the loud noise.

its an easy fix, but you may have to go to your LFS and pick up a new impeller and metal shaft.

this of course, is assuming that it is not simply gummed up and is put together correctly as mentioned above.

good luck

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
Only a few months old? Do you still have receipt? Looked at my old AC110 box and it says "lifetime warranty" for tech support and warranty info call 1 800 724 2436

Bderick67

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 18, 2006
Colorado
FishGoneWild;1908273; said:
AC is the King of the Power Filter huh?:ROFL: Goodluck trying to fix it. I would call customer service and request to exchange for another unit or another BRAND.
It is odd that you find pleasure in hearing of a problemed aqua clear filter. Seems you must be suffering from "filter envy":grinno:

12 Volt Man

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 24, 2007
canada
AC is the King of the Power Filter huh?:ROFL: Goodluck trying to fix it. I would call customer service and request to exchange for another unit or another BRAND.

many of us have AC's that are almost 20 years old and still going..

its easy to fix a filter that has no moving parts - new impeller, new shaft, as long as you have electrical power to the motor, you have a working AC.

its an easy fix.

but no impeller assembly will stand up to the wear of sand or gravel stuck in side while spinning...

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I have never heard of a company that doesn't occasionally have a unit fail. Aqua Clear has an excellent rep for quality on this forum and in the fishkeeping world in general.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store