Got rid of pacu and learned about a chain lfs

Alan Russell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2008
Northeast Georgia
So i had some pacu that came with a 120g I bought. They were way to huge for my tank so they had to go. I called around to a few lfs's and asked about finding them a home. I called Petsmart. Asked for the fish dept. I spoke to the lady who RUNS the fish dept.

I said to her, "I have some semi-large pacu that has out grown my tank. Would you happen to know anyone who would want them?"

She asked "how big are they?"

Me- "They are about 14 inches and several pounds?"

Her- "I can take them. I have been looking for some large fish for my tank at home."

Me- "Great! you must have a big tank.?"

Her- "Oh... Hahahaha I do!!"

So, today was the day. I took them to her at Petsmart. She hands me a 5 gallon bucket to put them in. "What is this?" I ask. "It's all I have she replied.
I take the bucket, go to my truck and put one in. It's standing on the bottom of the bucket on it's nose. Tail sticking about 2 inches out of the water. Anyway, to make a long story short. She finds a tub to put them in. I ask, "So I'm just curious, but what size tank do you have?" She replies (and I'm not BS-ing you) "I have an 85 gallon." :WHOA::WTF::jaw-dropp

Now how in the hell is this lady who is in charge of the entire fish dept. suppose to give advice on fish when she obviously has no clue herself????

CichofitAll

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 22, 2008
Kansas
home.myspace.com
This must be a requirment to get hired for that job. I argued for 20 min. with the local Petsmart about wether or not Green Terrors and plecos were compatible. Heres the kicker she was trying to tell me that a 4 inch pleco would eat a 3 inch GT!

salsa

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2007
In Your Imagination
I don't know what you are talking about. Every single pet smart employee in the fish dept have been the most skiled and trained fish people i know. and DUH! A 4 inch fish can easilly eat a 3 inch one. Its bigger! Your over reacting because they are smarter than you. I smell jealousy!

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Sounds like someone didn't research things completely. Normally when you give fish away, you find out as much as you can about the person who is getting them. That should have been one of the first things you found out was how large her tanks are, for this obvious reason. I'm hoping that you decided NOT to give the fish to her, as that would have defeated the whole purpose of getting rid of them in the first place.

I also hope you 'educated' her. :)

lilfats2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 13, 2008
Long Island
ofcorse he is joking lol

dmed

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 8, 2008
Cincinnati, Ohio, US
Nah, she just misspoke. She meant 1,085 gallon. Otherwise, she would have never taken multiple pacu, right? :WHOA:

CHOX

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 25, 2007
California
I work at a PetSmart, me and about three other people actually KNOW about fish, and are into the hobby. But a couple of the other people are completely clueless and THINK they know about fish. Luckily they usually open so they don't see many customers. :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store