Rhombeus Hit Chin on Glass

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
I was cleaning my tank yesterday and while siphoning the debris, my rhom suddenly became skittish and hit his lower jaw on the glass. It created a bruise on the front of the lower jaw. I've seen some piranhas with this on the lower jaw and some even call it, from what I recall, a Chimple.

Is it okay to place some melafix in the tank to make sure it heals properly and without a mark. I don't want my p to have that mark or chimple.

Thank you.

RonTheRHOM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK
damn how hard did he hit the glass? mine has done it once a few days after going into his tank, he hit the glass hard, it sounded like a brick hitting the tank, but he got no bruise or chimple

dont know what melafix is but IF its piranha safe, then it cant do no harm

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
It didn't really hit the glass that hard. It didn't make a sound which would really worry me. It just made a slight thud but created that slight bruise. Piranhas are supposed to heal really fast. Melafix is safe for fish in general but I'm not sure if it's safe for piranhas. Maybe someone can confirm if melafix is safe. Can I use salt?

Given that the fish has only been with me for a little over a week, this is the second time I've made a water change. The first time was when I did it with the lights very dim (at night) with minimal skittishness. For piranhas, I think it's better to do water changes at night. What do you guys think?

Thanks!

RonTheRHOM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK
i do water changes whenever. they get less skittish as they get used to you i think.
ive had my xingu only 2 months now and he doesnt bat an eyelid when i do a water change, and hes got very aggressive

use salt then, thats safe, he shouldnt really need anything anyway, chimples arnt from bangs on the chin, they are from constant rubbing of the jaw on the glass

Anton

Candiru
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2004
Manila, Philippines
My rhom didn't have a chimple before I did the water change. In fact, I made sure I chose a fish without a chimple when I got him. He doesn't have that habit of rubbing against the glass too.

Does your fish constantly rub against the glass? Does he have a chimple? I just don't like that mark on the tip of the chin. The mark on my fish seems to be fading/ disappearing.

RonTheRHOM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK
yes it will do, thatisnt a chimple, a chimple is a large pretruding growth as such, that is very visable.

no my rhom doesnt rub against the glass and no he has no chimple

razorback182

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 18, 2008
Philippines
better check if melafix's only for bacteria. If that's the case, use it judiciously, as it might kill most of the bacteria in the tank, leaving it open for fungi to dominate.

cepon3

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2006
The United States Of America
Mine rubs his face off the tank alll day everyday.. except when im not there he just hangs out.. i dont think my fish loves me : (.. but the chimple isnt bad.. but the bruise should go away by itself just make sure you keep the water in good condition..

frontosablkrhom

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 9, 2008
new jersey
dude they are nuts when you siphon but if i leave his stump where he hides alone he doesnt move the whole time, chimples are ugly i would try the stuff you have if its supposed to heal fish wounds then i cant see why if you dose the correct amount or maybe half of the full dose it would do any harm, i hope your fish heals it really sucks to see your fish cut bruised scrached etc...

RonTheRHOM

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2007
UK
cepon3;1912067; said:
Mine rubs his face off the tank alll day everyday.. except when im not there he just hangs out.. i dont think my fish loves me : (.. but the chimple isnt bad.. but the bruise should go away by itself just make sure you keep the water in good condition..
i dont think brandti's get chimples like rhoms do tho. most mannys spend their entire day attacking their reflection, especialy when juveniles but they never seem to get chimples

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store