got some ray questions

oogie

Candiru
MFK Member
Mar 20, 2006
on an icecube.....
ive been whanting a ray for long time now and i think i might finaly have the chance to get one,

ive beening reading up on tank size i was planning on starting the ray, a motoro in a 48"LX16"WX15"H tank with a couple small dats and mabie a 12" fire eel, but ive been reading this is way to small is it ok for even afew months if the rays disc is only about 5"-7" and i do a lot of WCs?

my PH is high at about 7.8-8 and my water has a lot of calcium ect in it TDS is 260+ my tanks have lot of hard water lines on them:irked:,it will be comeing from a PH of about 6.8 i think can i drip aclimate it or will it not handel the change? i have an RODI unite if that helps in anyway

the store i will be getting the ray from is two hours away what would be a good way of packing it, was thinking a bag in a stiro box lined with newspaper? any better ideas?

can you net rays like other fish or they they to delicate, for when i have to move him into the tank and for moveing him latter when he grows

and for when the ray gets bigger can it be kept in a 6' dia cattle watering tube? iam either biulding a large indoor pond or getting one of those, both for the ray and my 18" RTCXTSN iam hopeing they would be fine together but if i have to i could rehome the cat,

sorry for the long post

Kevaldo

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2007
England
Hi
Your tank is way too small, you would only be able to keep a pup on there for a little while.

Your water is not too good is it? I would only use that water if it went through a R.O unit.

As for picking a ray up and a 2 hour drive that is not problem, just put it in as you say a stryo box and it would be fine (get a bigger tank though first:))

Go with your pond idea a.s.a.p. it would be much better but i would be a bit hessitant putting a pup in with a 18" RTC, it might fancy a snack one day:eek:.

Kev

BIGgourami

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 31, 2007
Chicago, IL
^yup^

16'' is way too narrow for a ray tank...

if i recall the generall accepted dimensions (minimum) are something like 6'x2.5' if im not mistaken

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
read all the stickies and ive transported rays for 3+ hours drives in rubbermaid containers with battery air pumps....

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
well most of them some are not needed.... hell i did and many books and website articles and talked to this person and that person... research is key to success......

btw im waiting for the picture updates......

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store