I started a crazy project - Big ray habitat

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
Hello all, I got into stingray since March 2007, and get more and more crazy about it. I have more than 100pcs now and i am running out of space to hold them, some are 40cm already, i have 10pcs pearl, 5pcs p14, 17pcs P13, 6pcs flower ray, 1 pcs tiger ray and over 80pcs marbled motoro. They grow bigger from day to day and some begin to breed, so i am seriously run out of space for them. I have dedicated a double storey house for all my rays, now i am building this crazy tank project for them.....

i attached here some photo for viewing....

my ray habitat project started on 22nd May 2008, the whole idea is to make a good water system for all my ray, will be simulating to their nature environment, this tank is located outdoor and get sunshine all days, with water fall and small river system, total water capacity will be about 300,000 Liters waters. will have 6x 3.5m x 7m x 1m, 12x 3.5m x 3.5m x 0.8m, 4x 1.4m x 7m x 1m, 2x 5m x 1m x 1m, and a big storage pond in the system that hold 100,000L water.

any idea what should i use for the water filter? my water filter chamber will be 1.2m (width) x 20m (lenght) x 1m (height). dividing into few partition with each partition about 3.5m lenght. i plan to use a ultra sieve filter for koi pond that will automatically remove all the solid waste before come into the biological filter chamber. I am thinking to include water plant in few of the partition. and use the brush for the biological system.

can any expert pls give me some input? i need the filter system to be super efficient as i think this is the most important part of the ray habitat's requirement.

any input will be greatly appreciated....

Enjoy the photo of my crazy project .... ;-)

24th May.jpg

Ray tank.jpg

DSC_0224.jpg

DSC_0233.jpg

DSC_1215.JPG

DSC_1237.JPG

DSC_1240.JPG

DSC_1243.JPG

mshuangchao

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 10, 2007
China - 珠海
That is MASSIVE, your fish are SO LUCKY! I wish my room was as big as that.
Goog luck on the project, keep us updated!

ExoticEctotherms

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2007
South Jersey
:drool::drool::drool: Holy crap!!! That is gonna be awesome.

As far as filtration goes, I would think the only way you could go would be a big swimming pool sand filter. Good luck! I can't wait to see it done!

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
This is my first project on big tank, i read a lot and have seen some of the koi pond setup, i need some good input for the filter system, and what should i be aware of. i am thinking a long the way of nature, will make river flow, water fall, plant a lot of water plant, and big filter chamber.

pls give more input...... i am in the brain storming to make a perfet habitat for my rays... thanks for all your help in advance.....

snakeheader

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
ohio
wow can some one make this a sticky this is insane nice job bro,keep us updated with tons of pictures

royalray

Candiru
MFK Member
May 21, 2008
Under the hot sun
I will take photo from time to time and update here. any input from experience ray breeder? is the water height enough, some tank is 80cm height, and some tank is 1.2m height. what is the best color for the background? i will be using mosaic tile for all internal wall.

eventually will cover the whole place with stainless steel netting, thinking to keep some big parrot inside it. like macaw or african black parrot, also want some blue hyacinth but heard that is will cost a bomb..... hahaha....

i am thinking to keep all the exotic type of fish like mainly stingray, arowana, altum angel, special L pleco, and have a few big bird flying around.... this is my dream.... like a mini version of Jurassic park....

anyone can suggest a good name for my new park?

thanks for all inputs.....

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store