late night thought

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
So sitting here thinking about power failure. This got me to thinking if you run a wet/dry as your main filter, and the return pump dies 5 minutes after you leave for work what happens.

Then I realized all hell would break loose, your bio media would dry up and all the BB would die. You come home 8 hours later and say oh dang it and rush go get a new pump and hook it up. now your tank has to go through a medium cycle because you lost 80% of your BB and, now you could be pumping poison back into your tank from the dead BB.

808flipsyde

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 22, 2008
da rock
here's your answer....its all about where your siphon breaks from your tank into the wet/dry. If it brakes 2 high into the tank....not that much or none of your bio-media will be covered in water (keeping them soaked). If it breaks 2 low....yes, all your bio-media will be covered in water.....along with your floor and your fish may not have much or any water left 4 them!!! You have to find a good spot for your siphon to break in the tank so it will cover your bio-media and won't overflow your wet/dry onto the floor if you ever have a power failure.

Alan Russell

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 31, 2008
Northeast Georgia
I am getting a 220g this weekend with holes drilled in the BOTTOM and a sump. I have been worried about a power outage myself.

WyldFya

Baryancistrus demantoides
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Moscow, ID
The ideal sump system will have it's over flow and pump lines drain back into the sump, covering the vast majority of the media.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Can we get things straight here first as there seem to be two questions...

Power outage worries...

Get a UPS to run the pump (size it so the pump can run for 10 hrs, if it is a blackout traffic could cause you to take longer to get home and when you do get home what are you going to do? That's a whole other disaster recovery program http://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48578 ).

Consider aeration run off of the UPS too.

Pump dies...

Run a secondary pump of less gph but enough to keep everything healthy for a day or three till you get a replacement pump (if you are far from a store or shipping keep one on hand).

Remember Biologicals start to die off in about 20 minutes without circulation and nutrients.

Worst case scenario drain off 30% of the tank water & use it to rinse the filter out and restart (add bioSpira if it is available).

Dr Joe

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
Sorry been gone for a while. I have the top of my media about 8 inchs above the water line when the sump is working. In order to cover my media i would have to drain 30% of the display. So I droped the bio meida about 5 inchs down so about 60% is covered in water normally, when the power goes out it will voer 90%. I know that I now no longer have a wet/dry, my question is will I loose alot of bio filter capacity this way?

nfored

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 4, 2008
Missouri
bump. my last question any feedback?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store