emperor 400 vs. penguin 350

Charlie77

Feeder Fish
Nov 5, 2007
Boston
I have a couple of each, and have had good luck with both. The Emp moves a little more water, has larger filter pads, and larger optional media trays... But the Penguins work really well too, take up less space, and have less moving parts to breakdown. In my opinion you can't go wrong with either.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Emperors are better, they have a spray bar to run the bio wheel and has more gph. The penguin is almost the same except it doesn't have the spray bar, it depends on the flow of the penguin.

Trippingpara

Gambusia
MFK Member
May 10, 2008
New England
I prefer the Emp over the Penguin. Better gph and I like the spraybar for the biowheels.

terd ferguson

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2007
Concord, NC
The Emperor line is higher end in quality and price than the Penguin line. Big Al's has the Emperor 400 for $39.99 right now.

http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsU...4/cl0/marinelandemperorbiowheel400powerfilter

Petsmart.com has the Emperor 400 for $42.99 and your local store will price match their own website. Just print the page and take it to your local store.

http://www.petsmart.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2752378

I run an Emperor 400 now and have had an Emperor 280 and the Penguin line. I would go with the Emporer over the Penguin for the same reasons stated above.

maynardwix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 31, 2007
Florida
www.youtube.com
IMO I'd have to say neither. I would go with an Aquaclear 110 (made by Hagen), they have a higher flow rate, plus a better bio media capacity. You are alos able to customize the media to your own needs. I have used both the Penguin and the Emperor, but have swiched almost all of them out now for the Aquaclears. The Aquaclears are a little more money, but are well worth it.

tydus

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 11, 2007
California
Well, the thread is about the penguin 350 vs the emp 400, not opinions of the aquaclear. We all know about the ac110, but keep the thread about the penguins vs the emperors.

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Well they are both from the same manufacturer.If youre into american cars look at it this way,the penguin is a camaro and the emperor is a z28.
mustang vs gt500kr for you ford guys.:D

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store