Spawning Largemouth Bass Questions

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
I was fishing the farm pond up the road this morning when I noticed that the bass appear to be spawning. I saw two pairs of nice big bass (about 4-5 pounds) courting. I couldn't get them to strike, but one did follow my spinner (actually more of a trout lure, but I left my tackle box at home) for about five feet... I caught one fish, about one and a half pounds, but those big ones were driving me crazy!

Does anyone have any tips on getting spawning (or pre-spawning?) bass to strike? Do they feed at all or do they fast until after spawning?

JayK1320

Candiru
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2008
Boston, MA
Try some top bait, something that stays on top of the water or try some Slug-Go. I have had great success with the Slug-Go or the Spanky, both by Lunker City. I am pretty sure that during spawning the females fatten up, so they will probably be feeding pretty good.

Good luck!

JD7.62

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 13, 2005
at the 'Bama Breeze
Dont throw a top water on spawning bass, they will totally ignore it!

First of all are you sure they were spawning?

I live FAR from Oregon but pre-spawn here begins in late Feb with the actual spawn around mid march and some stragglers (usually smaller fish) all the way to early May. Late June just sounds WAY too late no matter where you live.

During the pre-spawn is your best bet at getting a trophy fish. The big females stage up first around structure that is near their spawning grounds yet close to deep water such as points at creek mouths. These fish are hungry but still sluggish as they are coming out of their winter slumber. Carolina rigged soft plastics, deep diving cranks, and slow rolling deep spinner baits work well for them.

Once the fish have spawned and are guarding a nest anything on the bottom will sure get a strike (hence why not to throw a topwater). Jigs and Texas rigged soft plastics are killers for this situation.

spotfin

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jan 2, 2006
Maine
Spawning up here takes typically takes place in early June, depending on water temps.

As I understand it the male constructs the nest and attracks a female to the nest. After spawning, the female parts ways with the male and he remains to guard the eggs and fry.

Might want to try a worm or lizard and drag it through the nest area.

Dan F

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 10, 2007
Oregon
spotfin;1918364; said:
Spawning up here takes typically takes place in early June, depending on water temps.

As I understand it the male constructs the nest and attracks a female to the nest. After spawning, the female parts ways with the male and he remains to guard the eggs and fry.

Hard to tell if they are spawning, but they are definitely paired off for something. Where I live is fairly high elevation - we had our last snowfall in May - so they may spawn a lot later...

Thanks for the advice, sounds like I want to p*** off the fish into striking. Tomorrow morning I'll hit the pond again and let you all know!

voss345

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 21, 2007
ct
spotfin;1918364; said:

yeap
throw some kind of finesse worm or lizard, ive even had luck with big big tubes

robkob

Candiru
MFK Member
May 28, 2005
lost
duke33;1918401; said:
I always heard to keep pulling a sinking type lure through the nest till it pisses them off. BAM!
:iagree: I've had success with this.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store