Safe Alternative media's ?

Fatmantechno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
hawaii
Hi. I haven't found a thread listing the diffrent filter media alternatives that are safe for use.

Some of you guys ever tried those crushed walnut shell socks? or the oil spill media the ones you can buy that you can dump your car oil in?

What are the media's that everyone else is using?

mach_six

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 30, 2005
Northern NJ
I don't know if someone used to absorb oil is a good idea to use in a fish tank. wouldn't it just soak up the water. Why not just stick w/ traditional media it's not like it's that expensive.

Nic

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2005
outside philly
mach_six;1920695; said:
I don't know if someone used to absorb oil is a good idea to use in a fish tank. wouldn't it just soak up the water. Why not just stick w/ traditional media it's not like it's that expensive.
yup.... but other options people use are the nylon scrubbies from dollar store and also lava rock....

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Fatmantechno;1920372; said:
Hi. I haven't found a thread listing the diffrent filter media alternatives that are safe for use.

Some of you guys ever tried those crushed walnut shell socks? or the oil spill media the ones you can buy that you can dump your car oil in?

What are the media's that everyone else is using?
There is a list of media in the stickies. Just about everything has been tried and unless you can get it free, scrubbies win out on cost vs surface area/lifespan/clogging/cleaning etc.

Absorbant materials are designed for skimming not to filter and have a very poor thru flow if any at all.

Also some automotive oil absorbents are just dry clay like cat litter and dissolve in water.

Are you looking for a specific function of filtration (sump/canister/HOB)?

Dr Joe

Fatmantechno

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2008
hawaii
I do indeed get them free and can get a lot of diffrent things for free or at lower cost's.
what about the crushed walnut shells? no one said anything about that. It is used to filter the storm drains.
I was just wondering all the wierd medias people have tried before that aren't normal not to use but just out of curiousity

Bud8Fan

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2006
Nebraska
Army Guys!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store